This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free health benefits

Similar to finhaven's post re free tuition and how it impacts support this takes on the question in terms of work health benefits 100% covered by the employer.

Having not created the seperation agreement as of yet, the issue (as long as we do not finalize the divorce) is a question of my stbx's work benefits not only for the kids but myself as well. It is a top rated plan, best I have ever come accross, including the dental which there really is no program for limited income individuals to replace her benefits. I will most definately fall into this cateagory when this is all done, as i collect CPP Disability Benefits. Ontario has a plan for perscriptions in the Trillium Program but not for dental and basic health. Key here is her benefit plan is 100% paid by the employer, covers the kids as long as they are in school and myself in seperation as long as she elects to leave me on the plan.

So I respect the fact that her leaving me on the plan is "saving" about $750 a month and since we live under the same roof the Trillium plan stated I would not be covered, that they use household income for eligability..... even if we are going through the divorce process. I think this has something to do with the CRA who for another reason informed me that we remain as married as far as they are concerned until we finalize the divorce with the courts or if we move or live under seperate roofs then our status will move to officially seperated.

Allthough the seperation agreement is a negotiated document, the stance that benefits are worth good money if we had to pay directly for these benefits is something my stbx holds over me even now as she goes about verbalizing her position with our older kids. Are free benefits treated as free when the courts look at the budget to live issue and as an extension should she decide that she wishes to remove me from her plan is it fair to include what will be now a huge jump in expenses on a monthly basis for ongoing support. Negotiating this "increase" into the SS portion of the seperation agreement?

Sorry Mess here I paste one darn good response - I just plain forgot i posted this!

this is my edit - I confused myself in that my original post is for medical benefits post seperation and into the divorce. What I pasted below is from Mess and it is his response to a very similar question - not as good as staying on her benefit plan but it is a very good plan B!! So on to the origianl post and

If anyone else has something to offer? And Mess is correct in that internet info will be sketchy! I am finding the disability aspect, at least at the levels it affects me, and most imprtantly at this point - the divorce. Our lives basically panned out as I gave most into this marriage up to now, depended on the next round, her putting her efforts to finish out our "asset accumilation as we prepared for retirement. Now that she is bailing it is making the second half of the equation equal to not enough......

Here is mess's post back in June+/-:

This is the start of Mess' post.......

If you are under 65 you can and should apply to ODSP, begin by speaking with your doctor. ODSP will provide health benefits even if the income from CPP means you wouldn't get any cash payment.

If all you have is CPP you are in for a tough time. You would certainly have reason to seek Spousal Support at some level, at least enough to cover health benefits.

I strongly suggest seeking experienced legal counsel. Information on the internet will be sketchy.

End of Mess' post......

I shall add here what I have found re the legal council - basically none wish to take my file on for the very reason they do not have the practical experience and understanding in this very particular aspect of family law. I so much wish I could just pick up the phone.... as many have said is so easy! Nothing is easy in my life - this is no exception so I just keep tryin!

SO thanks again Mess!
    Last edited by ddol1; 11-05-2011, 11:09 PM. Reason: add a paragraph

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X