Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bank accounts

Hi Everyone

this question is in regards to me being prepared. as you know my ex has been now on the path to seek spousal support after 3 years has gone by . We have been separated since 2014. I was curious as to the financial statement I'm just trying to learn and be prepared as to when I have to fill this out. Allot of things have changed for me since we separated so why is it they require a bank account number and institution. Do they look at the bank records?

Believe it or not since she left me Ive actually have been able to save a little money. I guess I wanna know if this is a bad thing for me. This is only due to a few reasons. when I bought her out of the house I borrowed as well on the house a bit to help me through the transition of paying for it all on my own and kids expenses. I also have been dealing with an insurance claim due to a flood at my house and I have extra money from the claim in which I have to pay out for some of the losses.

I also renewed the mortgage again this year and borrowed a bit due to me needing a car.

I guess I'm just looking for advice as I don't want to give any more information than I have to.

Thanks

Make an honest financial disclosure. If you have cash to spend on your house for repairs, take it out of your bank account. Buy a safe.

ASking you for an account number is a bit ridiculous but give it out, don't give them your credit card number. X it out and give them the last 4 digits only. The financial statement is a public record document and anybody could access that document and have easy access to your credit card number.

You should disclose all of your loans.

How come you guys aren't divorced yet? Did she ask for spousal support in her initial pleadings ? I just don't understand how people can just go back to court and ask for spousal support. How long were you guys married for? She's been fine for the last 3 years but all of a sudden isn't?

Comment

It seems its on the form 13.1
      I was just looking over it trying to educate myself and I noticed it ? again I'm just educating myself as her Lawyer indicated they are now going to submit an application and I will be self representing. I'm just wondering if they look at your daily spending and transactions and total in your account now?

She did not ask for spousal when we first separated back in 2014 , she started requesting it via email and with the help of her Lawyer last year.

Comment

I would not provide bank statements unless ordered to do so.

You are required to complete a budget (court form).

Comment

From the case law, being able to save money is a bad thing when it comes to spousal support. As the potential payor, it means you have the ability to pay and it is almost impossible to claim hardship. As the potential recipient, your ability to demonstrate need is severely compromised.

Always remember the ideal family law supplicant: Female, breastfeeding, unemployed, uneducated, and in debt. The farther you stray from that ideal, the worse it is. Debt is good, get some.

Comment

Ok thanks

I'm just trying to get educated and I don't want allot of money in my account when all of this goes to court. Not that I have allot but I really don't want an advantage to her at this point. Again her Lawyer asked for it and I have not yet provided it. He is trying to get our agreement that we did tossed out and she wants spousal on top of that. I'm not giving anything to him in those regards.

just curious because on the form 13.1 I seen where is requests account number and Bank name in one of the sections.
            Last edited by zanman; 01-16-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Did she have legal advice when she entered into the agreement that she already has with you?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

we went to a mediator first then did our own agreement and then had it signed and notarized by a Lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by zanman View Post
                  we went to a mediator first then did our own agreement and then had it signed and notarized by a Lawyer.
                  so one lawyer for both of you? She didn't have her own?

Comment

Originally posted by zanman View Post
                    Ok thanks

I'm just trying to get educated and I don't want allot of money in my account when all of this goes to court. Not that I have allot but I really don't want an advantage to her at this point. Again her Lawyer asked for it and I have not yet provided it. He is trying to get our agreement that we did tossed out and she wants spousal on top of that. I'm not giving anything to him in those regards.

just curious because on the form 13.1 I seen where is requests account number and Bank name in one of the sections.
                    Banks don't like to release information about their clients without a signed consent. Putting your bank account information on a court form doesn't get anyone anywhere except to have a record that you have a bank account is all.

Don't listen to her lawyer... I believe they are perhaps on a fishing expedition.

Comment

Yes the Lawyer just witnessed the signing and notarized it.
                      We couldn't afford Lawyers so we did our own

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X