Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously LV thank you very much. I have been searching across all kinds of sites and forums for examples and an outline and while I have found information, none was as clear and concise as yours was. Thank you very much. Your the reason why sites like this are so helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity View Post
      "Hearsay" means anything you have no personal knowledge of but have learned from someone else; it also includes repeating someone else's statements in your own affidavit. It is hearsay, for example, to say "Sally told me that she went to the park at noon on Saturday." It is not hearsay to say "I saw Sally in the park at noon on Saturday."
      I wouldn't consider this hearsay, if Sally is the the other party of the court application. While you didn't witness Sally in the park at noon, you do have first hand knowledge of the statements she made. When you testify to the statements she made, you're not claiming that she was in the park; you're testifying to what she told you. If Sally is a third party, and not available for cross-examination, then that's a different story.

Comment

As Teenwolf says, Hearsay is Third-hand information. Hearsay is covered in the Canada Evidence Act, and deals with Court Testimony. For example, you can't give testimony to what somebody else told you. They would have to be called as a witness to give that evidence themselves. You can put all the "Hearsay" evidence you want in an Affidavit, as long as you can back it up.

Comment

Originally posted by walshch View Post
          As Teenwolf says, Hearsay is Third-hand information. Hearsay is covered in the Canada Evidence Act, and deals with Court Testimony. For example, you can't give testimony to what somebody else told you. They would have to be called as a witness to give that evidence themselves. You can put all the "Hearsay" evidence you want in an Affidavit, as long as you can back it up.
          I am checking here Canada Evidence Act and cant find anything that relates to hearsay.

ex has put in her affidavit a para that falls under anonymous hearsay and double hearsay
          i.e. family friends said (anonymous hearsay)
          &
          (they (anonymous) said that Mr. MyName told them)

I would like that para to be stricken out as its just waste of time to discuss something that the "anonymous family friend" is not there to testify to and would like to refer to the relevant section of law.

Comment

any one looking for above info: this may be somewhat helpful.

Courts of Justice Act - O. Reg. 114/99

(14)AFFIDAVIT BASED ON OTHER INFORMATION
            (19) The affidavit may also contain information that the person learned from someone else, but only if,
            (a) the source of the information is identified by name and the affidavit states that the person signing it believes the information is true; and
            (b) in addition, if the motion is a contempt motion under rule 31, the information is not likely to be disputed. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 14 (19).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X