X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss of income

Please help not sure what to do.

My husband will no longer be receiving benefit payments. He is unable to work as there are no modified duties available, so he will not be bringing in any income. I am on maternity leave. As he has not worked in over 4 months he is not entitled to receive paternity leave through EI. He has another child who CS and SP is being paid. On what I make on Mat leave or even if I go back to work early (which I was hoping not to have to do). It will not cover our expenses including his CS & SP. We have not received the final court order which spells out the new support payments (was submitted Sep 2008, but I called the court, they have it, just not signed). The new support payments is still too high to manage. Are we able to place a hold on all payments until he finds suitable work (so that arrears do not accumulate)? If that is not possible, do we need to file a change in circumstances and how do we go about that without incurring the expenses of a lawyer? Thanks for any help!

From what I understand, you can go to the court and petition showing a change of circumstance. He will have to show them his lay-off notice, etc.
    You can get the support changed, just as his ex can have it changed. I would find out if you have any free mediation services in your area that might be able to help you fill out the form.They also should not be taking your income into consideration when determining child support. It's not your obligation. ( in case they are)

Comment

thanks...my only concern is, would change in circumstance also mean hardship? If it means hardship then they will look at my income and then it will take away from my child.

Comment

Step-parents and child support. | Full text Child Custody & Support articles from leading publications on ArticleArchives.com.
        I hope this helps. from what I understand, depending on where you live, you are only responsible for the child if you have acted as a parent to this child, meaning the ex wife has lost control of the child, or you and your husband have split up, and he is seeking support from you for the child.
        Hope that helps..

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X