This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to college and child support

my husband has a "daughter" not biological from a previous marriage who he has been paying child support for since she was 4 years old, she will be 19 next month..she has just been excepted into college in the fall..her biological mother has told my husband that after June he no longer has to pay child support for her--(this was before she got excepted into college she told him this) we feel that when he goes to pay the July support payments she will tell him that he needs to continue to pay support for as long as she is in post secondary school...here is the kicker....the biological father who lives in the area has not paid a dime towards his daughter and we feel that he should step up to the plate and have some responsibility in paying for his daughters education since he has not been there up until this point...does anyone know if the mother can go after this dead beat dad for support or will we have to endure another 3 years of costly support payments????

Yes, Mikesgal, you husband will be required to continue paying support until the child is no longer considered a child of the marriage. Which is usually 18 or until the child has obtained a post secondary degree. You may find that not only will he be paying support but college is considered a section 7 expense and he will have to pay his proportionate share on top of child support. Under the current laws children of divorce are entitled to paid tuition.

The ex could go after the biological father for support, but after leaving it this length of time, who knows what a judge may say. I have heard of many cases where one parent is collecting child support from both a step-parent & bio parent.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X