This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date of Separation

My wife served me with "intent to separate" dated April 10th 2008 - by that I mean a letter from her lawyer saying that he had been retained by my wife for the purpose of completing a legal separation with April 10th identified as the date.

Anyway, I also retained a lawyer who informed her lawyer that he was representing me.

Since that date, my wife and I (and 2 children) have continued to live together, sleep together, attend family activities together, share joint account, eat together as a family, vacation together and generally "try and work things out".

It looks like we will probably not be able to work things out and are heading for a legal separation.

QUESTIONS:

Can my wife still use April 10th as the separation date? I have a lot of personally owned stocks that I own and have dropped considerably in value (along with everyone elses) since April 10th. With everything else going on, I just left my finances alone and have woken up in the last few weeks to the large losses I have incurred!!

If my wife cannot use April 10th as her separation date, how do we choose another date? My choice would be to ask my wife to pick a date in the near future, and then sell 50 percent of my stocks on that date and put the money in an interest account for her - once the separation is legalized.

FYI... niether one of us has completed out FLR 13.1 finance declaration forms of signed / agreed on anything to date.

Regards,

Divot

Originally posted by divot View Post
    My wife served me with "intent to separate" dated April 10th 2008 - by that I mean a letter from her lawyer saying that he had been retained by my wife for the purpose of completing a legal separation with April 10th identified as the date.

Anyway, I also retained a lawyer who informed her lawyer that he was representing me.

Since that date, my wife and I (and 2 children) have continued to live together, sleep together, attend family activities together, share joint account, eat together as a family, vacation together and generally "try and work things out".

It looks like we will probably not be able to work things out and are heading for a legal separation.

QUESTIONS:

Can my wife still use April 10th as the separation date? I have a lot of personally owned stocks that I own and have dropped considerably in value (along with everyone elses) since April 10th. With everything else going on, I just left my finances alone and have woken up in the last few weeks to the large losses I have incurred!!

If my wife cannot use April 10th as her separation date, how do we choose another date? My choice would be to ask my wife to pick a date in the near future, and then sell 50 percent of my stocks on that date and put the money in an interest account for her - once the separation is legalized.

FYI... niether one of us has completed out FLR 13.1 finance declaration forms of signed / agreed on anything to date.

Regards,

Divot
    In all honesty, because you continued as a family unit, I think April 10th can no longer be used as the date of separation unless some backroom deal can be arranged between the parties.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X