Advice on CS for adult children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kimmanny View Post
    But what does a court do if the application is not heard until after my daughter is done school and is back to work full-time? At that point she would not be eligible for the support anymore under the FLA. (My ex and I were never married)

Also, her mother has a higher income than I do, so her share of education expenses would be higher than mine.
    If you know, or can guesstimate her income, do the math and see exactly what each of the three scenarios will amount to. You can't figure out what to do if you don't even know exactly what you are choosing between. The differences may not even be worth fighting over.

I don't know what a court would do, but I suspect it would be in your favour, if your income is lower. Remind your ex of the costs she had to pay last time you were in court, since she seems quite motivated by money, and the fact that she is likely to be ordered to pay a significant amount (more than a third) towards your daughter's education if it goes to court.

Then just pay your daughter some money and see where your ex takes it. If you end up in court, make sure you can demonstrate that you tried to negotiate and you did financially support your daughter, as well as the fact that you had an agreement to discuss things but your ex kept this whole education thing hidden from you.

Comment

Another question: if a child was already approved and received osap that covered all her education expenses for the year, are the parents still expected to contribute? Like pay for part of her loan?

Oh, and she would not likely have gotten that loan if she had reported my income on the osap application. As far as I know, she did not.

Comment

Another question: if a child was already approved and received osap that covered all her education expenses for the year, are the parents still expected to contribute? Like pay for part of her loan?
        Yes. She's supposed to need as small a loan as possible. If she got the loan because one parent hadn't paid her their contribution yet, the loan should be partly paid off when that happens.

Oh, and she would not likely have gotten that loan if she had reported my income on the osap application. As far as I know, she did not.
        Then it's either deliberate fraud, or she considered herself independent from you, due to no longer being a child of the marriage, and only put her mom's income on the form due to living with her. Maybe she really hadn't intended to tell you she had gone back to school at all, and it only came to light when her mom got the idea to get money again by claiming CS from you.

Are you trying to use this to avoid contributing after all? Why would you want her burdened with student debt when you're willing to pay for part of her education?

Comment

Students applying for OSAP are only allowed to use the income of the household in which they reside. --Yours would not and could not have been a factor.

And yes, you are still expected to contribute - judges don't want to see students going into debt, so that a parent can save a buck.
          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

No, I'm still offering her my share to pay her loan either way, even if I am not ordered to pay. I was asking because my ex may think that she doesn't have to contribute for this reason. If I'm planning to do more negotiations I need to know that she would still have to contribute. She won't want to, so if she thinks an order will require her to pay as well, then she might think twice about proceeding.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
              Students applying for OSAP are only allowed to use the income of the household in which they reside. --Yours would not and could not have been a factor.

And yes, you are still expected to contribute - judges don't want to see students going into debt, so that a parent can save a buck.
              If I had known though that she was going to school, I could have offered to contribute at the time and she wouldn't have needed apply for as much as she got and her debt would be lower. Right?

Comment

Sorry, I'm not really sure how osap works.

Comment

You should tell your ex and daughter that you want a record of enrollment from the registrars office and a copy of her osap award. Plus you want a statement of account from the school. The statement and osap info will tell you if she has been awarded any grants. That comes off the cost of tuition.

You take her tuition, books, supplies and transportation costs and divide by three. Thats kids portion. Then you take the remaining and split according to your incomes. Thats your portion.

Realistically you would have no living expenses because you are paying your ex cs for kid. You could offer to pay it directly to the child and she can pay her mother rent.

Like someone else said, figure out the costs that way (estimate if you have to) and go from there.

Or start with the request for info and then figure the rest out.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X