This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating the Situation

All of you have been so helpful to me during this process that I thought I would send you an update on the situation.

My fiance was recently hospitalized with a heart problem. Turns out is was a heart attack, probably 2. He had 2 stints put in, on a lot of meds, but after almost 2 weeks he's home and feeling great...thank you to the powers that be!!

In the meantime, his ex has accepted his settlement offer, which included signing off all rights to any further support, splitting of pension benefits, and agreeing to the divorce. Haven't seen his lawyer yet (just releasing from hospital today) but you can bet we will make sure this is a binding agreement!

We do have to remortgage the house to get this done, but at least she'll be out of our lives. She actually had the nerve to call him at the hospital and me at home to "check on him"! If you ask me, she wanted to see if there was going to be any $$$ for her.

Did draw up a will, had the lawyer review it...a few glitches, but lawyer said it would hold up. Gonna get it redone by the lawyer, worth the cost. Make sure you all update your wills!

She also wants her $$$ by the 15th of Dec. We can probably have it next Wed., but I say date the cheque for the 15th! Why should she have it any sooner, better that it sit in his account and collect some interest! Bitchy I know, but totally deserved. Besides, the cheque is in trust to her lawyer, just so she doesn't lose her welfare benefit!

Funny, albeit morbid, thought...she doesn't have a will either...if she gets her money and dies before the divorce is final, he gets all that money back! Ontario estate law says that if you die without a will, the spouse gets the first $200,000 of the estate, and a third of anything over that. Guaranteed, her estate is only the money he's paying her! Don't really wish this on her, but it would be ironic, wouldn't it?
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X