Spousal Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arabian View Post
    University or college education most certainly does not define "career" in my opinion.

To some, working their way from front desk clerk in a hotel to rooms manager then on to executive housekeeper and then on to assistant hotel manager would be considered a career (just one example). Using this as an example I would state further that 20 yrs ago I don't think there were many places that offered post-secondary training in management. Nowadays you can get post secondary education in many things. So the person who quit the job as a night auditor at a hotel, to stay home with the kids, would now have to likely to to a very expensive and lengthy educational program. That is just one thing taken into consideration when determining SS = how difficult/easy is it for person to re-enter work force. That is just the start. Then it has to be measured the loss of income and career advancement ....

Yes lump sum payout is much, much easier.
    I have to agree with Arabian here Oink. Reasons being... I went to school and spent 2 years an thousands of dollars getting a associates degree. But what I am doing now, for a career is vastly different than what my education dictates. There are some aspects of my job that I use my education for, but they are VERY minimal and I could have achieved the same results by simple research or employer paid courses. I have done exactly what Arabian stated above, a different aspect then hotel, however I started out as a summer student and over the years, I worked my way up until I was offered the Management position.

I have no desire to go anywhere else, I like the company I work for, they are great to their employees and there are many chances for advancement, not to mention they have offices across Canada, that if the opportunity presented itself, I would be able to transfer just about anywhere in Canada.

Unfortunately for me, I feel like I wasted two years of my life and a lot of money for my education. While education is extremely important, there are certain avenues one can take and develop a career without an education.

I agree with you Oink, that someone who works as a minimum wage worker may not be considered to have a "career" but everyone has to start somewhere and starting as a minimum wage worker, is often the stepping stone to a career.

Comment

Yes Oink I am working 3 jobs. One is Mon--Thurs , one is consulting on Fridays, and I do freelance work for a Family Lawyer and Forensic accountant, (nights and weekends). Afterall I am an accountant and did such a good job of proving his lies and finally getting disclosure.
      Because I hadn't worked for so many years, my SS is protected for imputed income to give me time to upgrade my skills (mostly software).
      Fact--and I can get you the stats, that almost half of Payers, don't pay or are in default, so I am not waiting for the ball to drop, I am preparing to be self supporting when the Doc dude runs away!!
      As stated before I still have had to curb my lifestyle as my household income is not what it was when we were married and my x paid for my eldest son's education and now refuses to contribute to my youngest.
      If my x was so distraught and unhappy in the marriage why on earth did he wait 29 years (for me to ultimately kick him out). He should have said I am not ok with this arrangement that you are not working, and file for divorce before 29 years passed.

Now there is a court order to pay me, (hopefully for the rest of his life, )
      You can call it whatever you like, the fact is with all the flaws in Family Law, this dude ain't getting away with his behaviour.
      I wish him well and he can live and travel with his 50% of income in any way shape or form he chooses and so can I.

Comment

Originally posted by slughead10 View Post
        dont sweat it he picks on me too.....and anyone else he may feel like.......
        Damn! I thought Jeff was banning you again.

Sluggo, seriously, you have yet to post even one response to anyone that is helpfull in terms of family law.

Your only posts are either to argue with me or Arabian. You are transparent and pathetic.

Here is my challenge: Post for a month, just a month, not forever. Regularly, with factual, lawful advice for people who come here in need. Give them practical, useful advice.

I know this is something you have never done. I get that this will be hard for you. That is why I say it will be a challenge.

Do something positive, instead of just making outrageous statements to provoke a response from the authority figures that you are so afraid of that you can only respond to from an anonymous position. Show some balls and actually go out on a line and give some practical help to people in need. Show us that you are actually a decent human being who comes here to help people who need help. Pay forward.

If you aren't willing to do that, then you are just showing how you are a childish anti-social retard who is only interested in making insulting statements from a safe position where you will never have to answer for your shit.

Man up, or shut up, asshole.

Comment

Not at all, are you kidding me? I am productive, loving my work, enjoying my family, and live in peace. No verbal bashings, no outrage displays of anger, seriously, I just wanted what is fair and that is what I got.
          Absolutely no spitefulness, more like justice.

Comment

momforever1956: I think the green-eyed new person in the ex's life is possibly the spiteful person in many cases. I can see how upset they would be at seeing large cheques cut each and every month to an ex wife. My answer to that is simply "I did my time and I'm gone and he's all yours!"

Yes there is justice sometimes.

Comment

My lawyer says a good part of his business is 2nd marriages and the resentment that the new spouce has for the X is getting money they feel entitled to. Amen to doing time and now its time for them to pay for the crime. Honestly, my heart truly goes out to the "new one", she didnt deserve to inherit my throw away.

Comment

In my case the "new one" most certainly deserves my ex.

I do get kind of a thrill when I think of her looking after him in his old age. I really missed a bullet there - phew!

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                  This might even go as far back to before the couples met i.e. past lovers saying the same thing
                  Do you have any statistics to back that up?
                  Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Love when people just come on and say ......I had a "career", x.y,z hindered me from carrying on. What is the career that you speak of? Unless you work for CSIS state this so called "career" please

If you don't have a university degree or some form of minimum 2yrs college diploma...don't be calling your job a career!
                    This is entirely untrue. I have/had a very successful career in sales and marketing until recently and have neither a college or university education or degree. I did attend college for a completely unrelated field but did not complete the requirements to attain any certification. Being good/successfull at your job does not necessarily mean financially.

In fact, being responsible for the hiring at the company I was working for, nearly every single applicant that applied or that I hired that had a college or university degree was for a completely unrelated field.

So if they do the same job as I do, but they have a college or university degree, even though in an unrelated field, ,only they can refer to their job as a career, and I cannot as I have no official college or university degree?

These days, there is no reasons for anyone not to have an education, or any adult fending for themselves...failure to do so can either be blamed on on the parents in the way they brought up their kids, or just pure damn laziness on the part of the individuals

@arabian, just so you can see where am coming from, see this definition below
                    There are lots of reasons people don't get to have the education they would like or need to get a higher paying job. For example, working full time, parenting full time, putting your own kids through college/university. This creates a viscious circle of can't afford to pay to get the a college or university education, can't get a higher paying job without it. But you supported your spouse while they achieved this, why should you not be entitled to the same?

And once again, this thread has deteriorated to all the reasons why people should NOT get SS, rather than the original question of when SS haters see SS as being appropriate, and what criteria should be met in order for this to happen.

Comment

• You can guess all you want. However, there was a requirement for work placement that I was unable to complete as none of the qualifying placements would accept me as neither their nor the college's insurance would cover me, which was mandatory.

And my question to you was:

So if they do the same job as I do, but they have a college or university degree, even though in an unrelated field, ,only they can refer to their job as a career, and I cannot as I have no official college or university degree?
                      Last edited by blinkandimgone; 11-03-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• I've cleaned up the last couple of pages of this thread as it was getting out of hand.

The thread will be closed for 24 hours and then I will re-open it.
                        Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X