This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• income and expenses starting with the date "I want a divorce"

I have been told by my lawyer that once the valuation date is set, the issue of income (we did live under the same roof for nine months as well); Income is not an issue for the purposes of equalization.... if a spouse is a stay at home spouse for the last "x" years with an income of NIL and the monthly expenses of the home alone is 5K a month (just a number) the spouse with no income is required to pay 50% of those expenses regardless of income. Is this the way it is done for everyone regardless of circumstance??

So I was told that nothing matters, the spouse without income will owe the other half the "bills" and it will come out of the equalization even if that ends up to be Zero (say there is no equity and huge outstanding loans) 1/2 the bills will have to be paid back to the spouse that works.

The issue I struggle with is yes I gave everything to the pot that came in from my disability income - I am going to owe her thousands. Then the SS starts at some point and the support that I admit to have depended on her since going on disability, when a judge mandates SS to begin restarting the support I have depended on begins and I will be ok. The time inbetween - I am drowning, every month I am short about $1,100 a month and I sit in a motel room..... I do not spend money, I hardly eat but it comes down to this or living on the street/going to shelters. So yes, the RRSP's that will nevver be replaced are being depleted.

I am thankful that I do have some RRSP's to deplete - but the wait to have the request for SS even looked at is killing me financially - it is the reason I stayed in the house and took everything that came my way as long as I could, even up to that last day.... Is this all just ignorant on my part and it is just the way it is - even if I supported the family for the first 20 years (yes I know it was my responsability and between the surgeries I worked my but off to bring in the money to support us - I do not regret one moment of those years, my family depended on me and I did my part as long as I could....)
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X