Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Case Conference- Exta Ordinary expenses.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Conference- Exta Ordinary expenses.

Well I had a case conference on June 3 and the Judge stated at this time he would order my ex to provide me with financial statements and receipts for extra expenses. I called the court today to get a copy of the order and they stated the Judge didn't put anything in the order in regards to her providing such. How can the Judge say they are going to order a disclosure of documents and then not order it. My ex has been asking for extra expenses as she calls them and provides no documentation of such expenses. I've been paying an extra $50.00 a month since 2005 with no documentation. How can it be determined how much extra I have to pay proportionate to income without any documentation. I don't set the rules the courts do. As per the Family Law guidelines it states any expenses being sought over and above the table amount she is to provide me and the courts with a financial statement and recipts. Plus these expenses have to be determined as extra ordinary and need to be agreed upon not just whatever feels like signing them up for. Last time she asked for $5000.00 for guitar lessons because she bought then guitars for x-mas. Looking for any advice or recourse to get the order the Judge stated he was going to order

Hi it does certainly sound like something got missed when the judge was writing up your order. I would, if I were you, to go down to the court house and ask to see the order in writing. It's your order, you can take it and photocopy it.

Also the courthouse has a Family court info officer which is a lawyer who volunteers his or her time for that week. Go early in the morning & register (for free) at the counter and show them your order and ask him/her your questions and concerns.

They aren't allowed to give you their opinion that you would receive if you paid someone but it is valuable GUIDANCE and it's telling you which forms to fill out and telling you how to fill out those forms.

As well, it also good to get a lawyer's advice to how to go about getting this figured out and costing you less money.

Comment

In my opinion you don't have to contribute to ANYTHING without proof of payment.

You do have the right to have input in deciding what is going to happen if you are responsible for some of the cost.

To determine proportionate share you need your Ex's income or a set imputed income to determine the percentage.

You don't have to pay $5000 for guitar lessons. I'm presuming that includes the guitars. If she bought them guitars for Christmas it's got nothing to do with you.
      Sometimes court orders are a disappointment when you finally get your copy.
      Would it be worth it to you to get the minutes from the courthouse to prove what was said by the Judge?

Your other option is to just deny payment until you see receipts. I am in no way trying to start friction between you & your Ex but rather trying to ensure you are not getting shafted. Technically you should be approached with the cost of a proposed sec. 7 expense before it happens.

Comment

The $5000 is real and not for the guitars. Really thats how rediculous she is. The courts seem to allow the recipients make these outragious claims with no reprocussions. I really don't understand it. She takes me to court for childsupport increases I'm already paying to the FRO. They use it as a means to go to court just to ask for whatever they can get out of you. A simple consent to change is all they need to change the child support and have the FRO release the funds to her, but they always seem to make it go to court over whatever they feel they are entitled to extra. I don't understand how the courts allow such blatant abuse of the system. I'm the guy who pays what I'm suppose to and get hauled into court every couple years when guys that are tens of thousands in arrears are not even chased. It makes no sense at all.

Comment

Oh the part about the FRO she registered me not because I never paid. Just in case I didn't pay. Does that make any sense? Using a government agency to enforce a payment of support that is being paid. Who pays for this? The FRO is great though I love them. When I go to court and her lawyer says that I don't pay I have a record from them stating all my payments and a letter stating that I am not in arrears and actually ahead of my payments. I pay them and they send the cheque to her and i don't have to deal with her its a great system. If your a good paying parent like your suppose to be they are really good. The goverment should give them more money to chase the deadbeats though. I think I'll right a letter to my MPP.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X