This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• response to costs submissions

So generally, what is done is: one side (the side that was awarded costs) submits their costs (serves it on the other party) and waits for a response (there's a deadline in which it must be responded to). So the other party "responds" with what they are willing to pay. The Judge/Court receives a copy. Then the Judge makes his/her ruling and it becomes part of the final dradted order. Usually the Judge fixes the costs somewhere around the middle of the original costs submitted by the successful party. Ok, so my lawyer made the cost submissions and ofcourse ex's lawyer waited til the very last day to respond. He feels the costs should be discounted (?!) and submits a whole new range - citing my "behavior" during litigation etc etc. Funny, as I was the only one who told the truth, while his client lied no less than a dozen times, under oath, during trial - and got caught - in each one of them. This was duly noted in the Judge's 23 page order. So in a 7 page response to my lawyer's costs, ex's lawyer persecutes me (as though he's given himself another opportinity to make closing arguments, tells and re-tells a bunch of lies that have already been established to be untrue - and THIS is normal? Has anyone ever been given a copy of the other party's response to costs? The way I see it, they LOST. The amt has been submitted and the only thing left to do is respond to those costs. So why am I being re-tried, lied about (again), and bad-mouthed? This lawyer is particularly unprofessional and I can't say I'm totally surprised but I just don't think this is "normal" - or is it? I hope the Judge sets the costs at even higher than the "somewhere in the middle" rule. If this clown is looking for a discounted rate for his profusely lying client, perhaps a penalty for having the audacity to seek said discount, and calling the judge's ruling into question, should be imposed. A penalty for lying. It's sad to see how some folks can not and will not just step up to the plate, admit defeat and deal with it. What is truly sad is the lies that are told over and over again, without penalty. It should not be acceptable.

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
    So generally, what is done is: one side (the side that was awarded costs) submits their costs (serves it on the other party) and waits for a response (there's a deadline in which it must be responded to). So the other party "responds" with what they are willing to pay. The Judge/Court receives a copy. Then the Judge makes his/her ruling and it becomes part of the final dradted order. Usually the Judge fixes the costs somewhere around the middle of the original costs submitted by the successful party. Ok, so my lawyer made the cost submissions and ofcourse ex's lawyer waited til the very last day to respond. He feels the costs should be discounted (?!) and submits a whole new range - citing my "behavior" during litigation etc etc. Funny, as I was the only one who told the truth, while his client lied no less than a dozen times, under oath, during trial - and got caught - in each one of them. This was duly noted in the Judge's 23 page order. So in a 7 page response to my lawyer's costs, ex's lawyer persecutes me (as though he's given himself another opportinity to make closing arguments, tells and re-tells a bunch of lies that have already been established to be untrue - and THIS is normal? Has anyone ever been given a copy of the other party's response to costs? The way I see it, they LOST. The amt has been submitted and the only thing left to do is respond to those costs. So why am I being re-tried, lied about (again), and bad-mouthed? This lawyer is particularly unprofessional and I can't say I'm totally surprised but I just don't think this is "normal" - or is it? I hope the Judge sets the costs at even higher than the "somewhere in the middle" rule. If this clown is looking for a discounted rate for his profusely lying client, perhaps a penalty for having the audacity to seek said discount, and calling the judge's ruling into question, should be imposed. A penalty for lying. It's sad to see how some folks can not and will not just step up to the plate, admit defeat and deal with it. What is truly sad is the lies that are told over and over again, without penalty. It should not be acceptable.

every one on this forum will say Opponent lied. It is life. Suck it up and move on. If you won, you should be happy with it and spend your life toward better things.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
      Enter key does wonders on a readers eyes

Comment

Yes: enter key. Got it. Tend to forget that when on my cell. Will keep in mind .

Storm: yes, I've had to "suck it up" plenty! And... ofcourse people tend to say the other party lied, but in my case it really is true. Even the Judge made several comments in her judgment pertaining to the total lack of credibility of the OP. I was, as we all were, painfully naïve at the start of this. I really believed that the Courts were about truth and justice and that there were penalties for outright lies, perjury. But the fact is: there isn't. Sadly, among the biggest liars; are Lawyers. Twice I've heard duty counsel say "everyone lies" as if it were an acceptable thing to do. It's pathetic. My ex assaulted me, threatened my life and although he entered a guilty plea to that: he later denied it. Said I made it up. I didn't. I know it, my child knows it (was in the child's presence) and the ex knows it. The Courts dropped the assault charge (1st offense), kept the death threat charge, put him on probation, and gave him a conditional discharge. Throughout litigation (the assault was a few years ago) in Family Court: he has perpetuated the lie, as has his counsel, that nothing happened. Can they tell he's full of it? Ofcourse! It's still maddening to see the same lies retold over and over again as they did in the response to cost submissions. It's just pathetic but you're right, I must not waste my time fretting over it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X