Net cost post secondary expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net cost post secondary expenses

This is an early question but its always good to get a jump on it...

My partners kid is going to have several tax deductions this year that may impact the net cost calculation for living expenses. Complicating it is that kid will have to claim most of the tax credits not the ex. The ex claims the tuition credits and the lawyer calculated that last year. This year kid will have rent (living off campus), moving expenses and medical expenses for a special diet (its legit on ccra site). An initial calculation came out to about $1000 back for the diet and $1000 for the rental costs with some estimated money inputted. This would mean about $1500-2000 off the living expenses calculation.

My question is this: is he allowed to ask for kids tax return since these expenses are tax deductible and because her income was low enough she gets a hefty credit? Its still "net cost" regardless of who claims it and the food costs will be higher than mr noodles and kraft dinner (not that he expects she eat that but we went out and bought a hefty care package and it wasn't a lot of food--the grocery bills will be two to three times normal diet costs).

I know it might sound petty but if he gets a number thats hefty knowing kid is getting $3000-5000 back in taxes, isnt it fair to split the costs properly?

is he allowed to ask for kids tax return
    An adult child's tax return can be relevant in determining the child's ability to contribute (or whether a material change has occurred).

Comment

But not for the net cost calculation? If shes claiming the medical costs and living expenses thats still a tax benefit. Theres no dispute over her "share" (ex is paying kids portion over what she can afford) but if its a question of $3000-5000 in tax benefits is she required to share the details and does it go into the calculation of net cost?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X