Don't agree on which High School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't agree on which High School

Has anyone here had issues regarding not agreeing on which High school their child will attend? In our case our daughter is already in grade 9 and our son is in grade 7.

I want the kids to attend the same school. It was always the intention /plan that they would attend the one our D 15 does but I know ex is already planting the seed to S12 that the school near his home would be great.

Any particular wording/clause that might be effective in a SA if he WERE to agree with me NOW?
    We have Joint Custody and 50/50 access
    Thanks
    Last edited by kingstonmomof2; 03-23-2015, 12:21 AM. Reason: to add custody info

In my current order we have joint custody but I have sole education which means that I decide alone which high school. Although having said that, by grade 9 kids know what they want for a school. My step son has already decided (in grade 7) that he does not plan to go to school with his friends but to move to the catholic high school. (his mother nor myself are catholic he just likes some programs the school offers).

I guess if it really is so important to you that child goes to school in your school zone then you could have a clause that states children shall continue to attend school in current school zone. However its going to be very hard to enforce that order if the child is determined to attend a different school.

Comment

Originally posted by kingstonmomof2 View Post
      Has anyone here had issues regarding not agreeing on which High school their child will attend? In our case our daughter is already in grade 9 and our son is in grade 7.

I want the kids to attend the same school. It was always the intention /plan that they would attend the one our D 15 does but I know ex is already planting the seed to S12 that the school near his home would be great.

Any particular wording/clause that might be effective in a SA if he WERE to agree with me NOW?
      We have Joint Custody and 50/50 access
      Thanks
      Unless there's a big difference in the quality of the education provided by the schools, I would send the boy to the school his friends will be going to. If he's friends with lots of kids in his class in the feeder school for the high school near you, choose that one. If he's got good friends in the neighbourhood near his dad's house, and his friends near your house won't be going to the high school near you, maybe the other school is the better choice.

Your ex may be counting on the fact that as a teenager, the kid will likely want to spend more time at the home closest to his friends, which is why he's pushing for the school near him.

In situations like these, I tend to think of what would be the case if the couple hadn't separated. Where would the kid be going to school if you were still both happily married? So you remained in the original neighbourhood, while your ex moved away? Then the kid should stay put, as his older sister did.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X