Recommended Books to Read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Books to Read

I thought it would be a great idea to post recommended books to read on divorce, parenting, self rep, etc.

Please post your recommended read below and a link to it if appropriate.

Thanks

Great idea looking forward to getting specific reading material.

Comment

The two I read were Tug of War by Harvey Brownstone and Surviving your Divorce by Michael Cochrane. They helped me wrap my brain around things in the beginning, before I found this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
        The two I read were Tug of War by Harvey Brownstone and Surviving your Divorce by Michael Cochrane. They helped me wrap my brain around things in the beginning, before I found this forum.
        Ditto. I recommend both as well.
        Another that I occasionally refer to is "A Guide to the Basics of Ontario Family Law" by John Schuman. It is a good, but not great reference.

Comment

The Prince by Machavelli
          The Art of War

Comment

Links17: Hmm ... as a newbie I hadn't thought of that approach! Lol!

From a more mundane perspective my suggestion is "The Separation Guide - Know Your Options, Take Control, And Get Your Life Back" by David R. Greig. It's published by Self-Counsel Press.

Comment

Community Legal Education Ontario has some good primers available online or hard copies. I picked up a few at the provincial Court House. Web link is New CLEO Family Law Series | Your Legal Rights - Free Legal Information for People in Ontario .

Comment

The 2 that really helped me were Tug of War and Single Parenting that Works by Lehman.

Comment

Originally posted by nogoingback View Post
                  Ditto. I recommend both as well.
                  Another that I occasionally refer to is "A Guide to the Basics of Ontario Family Law" by John Schuman. It is a good, but not great reference.
                  Nogoingback: Thanks for the suggestion of the Schuman book. I just read it. I found the book explained terms that I often see in the various posts.

Comment

The bible :-)

Comment

This on is on my bookshelf.

Joint Custody with a Jerk: Raising a Child with an Uncooperative Ex: A Hands-on, Practical Guide to Communicating with a Difficult Ex-Spouse 2011

"From parenting expert Julie A. Ross and writer Judy Corcoran comes the fully revised Joint Custody with a Jerk, the highly praised guide to co-parenting with an uncooperative ex-spouse, now updated to provide real solutions to tough family issues."

http://www.amazon.ca/Joint-Custody-J...dy+with+a+jerk
                      Last edited by YoungDad23; 01-17-2015, 10:29 AM. Reason: add link

Comment

Thats one of the best books out there. Yd23

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations to read “Surviving your Divorce – A Guide to Canadian Family Law” by Michael G. Cochrane.The book offered more than I expected.I anticipated a lot of jargon and legalese.Legal guidance, thankfully in understandable prose, was certainly there, but so was a look at unexpected topics like the five emotional stages of marriage breakdown.The book provides an insight into the journey ahead, and how best to prepare for it.

The following extract from the book’s back cover refers to areas covered.
                          “Divorce is tough. It's hard for couples to understand and deal with the legal and financial consequences of a break-up during such an emotionally charged time. Many questions plague those going through a divorce or relationship breakdown: Am I eligible for spousal support? Will I get custody of my children? How can I find and hire a good lawyer? What are other alternatives to a lengthy and messy court battle? How will this divorce affect my income tax and my personal finances? The list goes on...
                          Surviving Your Divorce is a highly readable guide that answers these and other questions while explaining the legal issues and options available to married and common-law couples going through divorce or separation. Harness all the knowledge this vital resource has to offer:
                          · New to this 3rd edition: Current issues in the area of spousal support, revised guidelines for calculating child support, recent changes to property division laws, a new section called, "What Will We Tell the Children?" and more.
                          · Written in non-legal language, this easy-to-read guide provides clear and candid advice on the entire process.
                          · Covers every aspect of relationship breakdown, divorce, and separation, including the emotional stages of marriage breakdown, child custody, domestic violence, the rights of common-law spouses, wills, and more.
                          · Provides crucial tips and strategies that may help you save thousands of dollars in legal fees.
                          · Includes samples of key legal and financial documents, and a glossary of legal terms.”

Comment

Tug of War

The title of Harvey Brownstone’s book “Tug of War – A Judge’s Verdict On Separation, Custody Battles, And The Bitter Realities Of Family Court” intrigued me.The jostling between my spouse and I is certainly a pull on our emotions.The breadth of information on the legal system found in the book nicely complemented my other recent readings on separation notably on alternatives to litigation.The book is particularly useful for those with children and experiencing issues of custody, access and child support.I skimmed over those chapters as our children are adults.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
                              The two I read were Tug of War by Harvey Brownstone...
                              Excellent book.

More than books I think everyone going through any difficult time / situation like separation and divorce would be best served by seeking out appropriate counselling with a certified clinician.

The majority of issues around custody and access is not "legal" but "emotional" challenges that one (or both) parents have.

It could be as simple as a parent not willing to accept that their children will not be residing with them half the time or an untreated and long-term mental health condition (illness) like depression.

If the emotional house is not in order the legal house will not be in order.

Good Luck!
                              Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X