Imputing income to a student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imputing income to a student

My daughter is in university and is working summer, which is great.

In discussion with my ex-wife about how much can we expect my daughter to contribute during the summer.

My lawyer suggested $5000 was a reasonable amount, my ex and her lawyer came back of course with less ($2500).

Does anyone know what the courts consider a reasonable amount these days?

Thanks!

Total grey area and so many factors come into play. You also need to remember that OSAP grants for tuition come off the cost and you pay your portion of the NET cost of the expense.

My partner is headed to court over this because his ex feels kid should only pay $3000 but OSAP loans and grants total about $8000. He has calculated kids portion at about $5000 which can be covered by income and loans. Ex disagrees.

Some of the factors you should consider are: grant opportunities, whether she is attending a program away from home and if its available close to home, what her employment is for the summer, health and volunteer options and what you and your ex agreed to.

There are a few posts on this topic, do some digging through the forums.

Comment

It depends what she is making, what her total costs are and what the parents earn.

Comment

Originally posted by leroadrunner View Post
        My daughter is in university and is working summer, which is great.

In discussion with my ex-wife about how much can we expect my daughter to contribute during the summer.

My lawyer suggested $5000 was a reasonable amount, my ex and her lawyer came back of course with less ($2500).

Thanks!

If you are talking about just employment income I think $5000 is unreasonable. Most summer jobs are min wage. Let's say she is done school in April so can work May, June, July and August, or 16 weeks. Even if she made a little over min wage at $12 am hour, her total for 4 months would be $7680 before tax as long as she worked 40 hours ever week (40x$12x16 weeks).

Most summer jobs however are not full time, more like 30-35 hours so in reality she could make $5700-$7680 before tax in those summer holidays. I don't think she should be expected to put 100% towards her education, I also assume she will want some time off to do things in the summer (most teenagers do).

So based on income alone from summer employment I find $5000 unreasonable. However if she qualifies for OSAP or grants/loans that should certainly be taken into consideration as stated above.

A lot of factors come into play. Tuition, books, residence costs, meal plans, other school expenses, income of parents, loans/grants. I think it will be difficult to get a firm answer without knowing details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

where will daughter stay? home or rent?

is there child support being paid during the time she is working?

is there any transportation?

is there any osap?

will child be working full time or part-time and how much being paid?

how many weeks will she be working?
          Last edited by trinton; 07-10-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Your best bet is to allocate 1/3 of the expenses to kid and lay out what is a reasonable expense. For instance, tuition and books are legit. Liquor and interior decorating for a dorm are not. Total up all the legit costs and then third it. Propose that cost as her portion. Kids are responsible for a portion of the expenses, it just depends on how much. If you make six figures, prepare to have that amount cut down.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X