Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Velacott's new Bill C-560 (equal parenting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velacott's new Bill C-560 (equal parenting)

LEGISinfo - Private Member?s Bill C-560 (41-2)

C-560 is not as strongly worded or definitive as his previous one (C-422), but if it passes will be a big step forward for a very out of date Act.

"An Act to amend the Divorce Act (equal parenting) and to make consequential amendments to other Acts
    Whereas the Parliament of Canada recognizes that amendments to the Divorce Act are necessary in order to
    (a) clarify the purpose and underlying principles of the Act,
    (b) encourage divorcing spouses to assume more responsibility for their affairs, with less reliance on adversarial processes,
    (c) promote joint responsibility and joint decision-making by spouses in respect of ongoing child care, nurturing, and development,
    (d) establish that the interests of the child are best served through maximal ongoing pa*rental involvement with the child, and that the rebuttable presumption of equal parenting is the starting point for judicial deliberations,
    (e) clarify relocation considerations by plac- ing the onus on the relocating parent to maintain continuity of relationship, and
    (f) provide for consistent collection of court statistics;"

I will go through in more detail later when I have more time but thought others might be interested.

Here is what he had to say at the First reading:

Mr. Maurice Vellacott (Saskatoon—Wanuskewin, CPC)
    moved for leave to introduce Bill C-560, An Act to amend the Divorce Act (equal parenting) and to make consequential amendments to other Acts.

He said: Mr. Speaker, I am quite honoured in these few moments to be introducing a private member's bill that would direct the courts in regard to divorce to make equal shared parenting the presumptive arrangement in the best interest of the child, except in proven cases of abuse or neglect.

Fifteen years ago, a joint House-Senate committee presented to Parliament a report entitled “For the Sake of the Children”. That report urged Parliament to amend the Divorce Act to make equal shared parenting the normative determination by courts dealing with situations of divorce involving children. This non-partisan recommendation from that joint House-Senate report was based on compelling research made available to the committee members.

Over the past 15 years, the best research has continued to demonstrate far superior outcomes for children in general when both parents, mom and dad, are actively involved in their children's lives, even if the parents divorce or separate.

Polling from the past several years demonstrates overwhelming support from Canadians for this equal shared parenting. There is in fact slightly more support among women than men for equal parenting. This strong support from almost 80% of Canadians exists across the country, with the strongest regional support coming from Quebec and Atlantic Canada.

Canadians claiming to be Liberal and Bloc supporters expressed the strongest endorsement for equal shared parenting, at 80.6% among Liberals and 82.9% among Bloc Québécois supporters, with the NDP and Conservatives just slightly under 80%.

A variety of countries, such as Belgium, Denmark, Norway, and Australia, and various U.S. states have implemented equal parenting, joint custody, or shared parenting presumptive legislation, which has resulted in lower court costs, less conflict, and improved social outcomes for the children of divorce.

This bill is one of the most apolitical, non-partisan pieces of legislation introduced in this current Parliament.

I look forward to strong support for this important piece of legislation from all members of Parliament who are committed to the best interests of our children.
    Last edited by SingingDad; 12-15-2013, 05:37 PM.

The problem with this legislation is that it's Vellacott who is introducing it. He's widely known as a nutcase from the right wing of the Tories, who has made a name for himself by opposing anything to do with gay rights. He is also mildly obsessed with "men's rights" and "the feminist agenda", which is where I suspect this bill is coming from. The best thing that could happen for this legislation would be for it to die off and then be re-introduced by someone who has more respect across the political spectrum, before the whole concept of equal shared parenting gets tainted by association with Vellacott.

Comment

It already has been. There are knee jerk rejections of the bill from the left/feminist groups, just because it is Velacott putting it forward. I put links to such on the other thread last year.

If the Harper government was keen on the concept they would have tabled a government bill early after the election. Everyone knew what the issue was, the original bill had more than one reading.

Velacott is on his own, and I don't have any hope of this being passed.

Comment

Mess this is not a rehash of Bill C-422, there are significant diferences between that Bill and Bill C-560.

Vellacott's history is well known, but if people contact their MP's saying they support the Bill it may get some traction.

For those of us who support this initiative we need to move the focus away from Vellacott and toward what benefits the Bill has.

Comment

HI SingingDad - nice to see you on here again.

I know little of this bill but am interested.
          Would you be able to briefly tell us what the 'significant differences' are between C-422 and C-560 are?

Comment

When I have time I will... but I am run off my feet these days. My have to wait to the weekend.

Comment

I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to go through the differences in the two Bills, but I wanted to let people to know about two ways to support Bill C-560.

I have attached a copy of a petition put out by Mr. Vellacott's office for people to sign in support of the Bill and Equal parenting in general. Petition's of more than 25 signatures can be presented to the House of commons and multiple petitions can be combined to reach that 25 signature mark.

If you don't want to sign an actual petition for whatever reason there is an on-line Petition on Avaaz that you can digitally sign and circulate via email, Facebook etc.

The actual petition is preferred as it can be used directly in the House of Commons to show there is support for the Bill.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition..._of_Bill_C560/
              Attached Files

Comment

If people are going to collect signatures but don't think they will reach the 25 signature mark I don't mind coordinating combining petitions and sending them in together. PM me if you are interested. It would be best if several MPs received petitions so it is not just Mr. Vallacott bringing this issue forward.

Comment

I agree with the jist of this bill. However, it looks like it is only recognizing how the law is currently practiced. I hope it makes a difference for somebody who gets bullied into giving up custody.

I do not know anybody who had to fight for 50/50 custody if they wanted it.

Comment

I'm sure you don't have to look very far on this site to find many parents that have had shared parenting denied by an unreasonable ex-partner. *raises hand*

Comment

Originally posted by AnarX View Post
                      I agree with the jist of this bill. However, it looks like it is only recognizing how the law is currently practiced. I hope it makes a difference for somebody who gets bullied into giving up custody.

I do not know anybody who had to fight for 50/50 custody if they wanted it.
                      raises hands also

Comment

Bf is going through this...D5 was 2 at the time of separation and both agreed to joint custody gradual increase to 50/50 when D started school.

Let go ahead 2 years....now Mom refused. Mediation...did not work now he stuck going to court to get extra access. Dad presented parenting plan extras 2 days a month for a year then add last 2 that makes it 50/50 when D5 starts full days school.

He is involved...took parental leave, goes to parent teacher meetings, takes her to swimming, takes all his access time.

Gradual increase was better for D5. Mom wants to have 50/50 option evaluated not even a guarantee that when D5 turns 8 that she will allow it.

Yes, this required.
                        Last edited by good_mom; 02-18-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OntarioDaddyMan View Post
                          raises hands also
                          Raising hands here too. It's ridiculous.

Comment

It says failed: Bill C-560 | openparliament.ca

I'm gonna start working on this now....

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                              It says failed: Bill C-560 | openparliament.ca

I'm gonna start working on this now....
                              Some of the MP's comments are repulsive....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X