Preparing for Post secondary agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for Post secondary agreement

From a previous post I got a few good ideas about what to put in the support agreement for university.
    - living in residence where there are rules about drugs and partying
    - keeping a b- grade average (not overly worried about this)
    - taking turns funding trips home

What other conditions may be important? What about protections against:
    Changing majors
    Taking 6 years to do a 4 year course
    Getting kicked out of residence
    Leaving residence to live in apartment (limits for costs?)
    Failing courses
    Seeing transcripts or no $$

Thoughts and other ideas?

(Be kind, be helpful)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres a lot you cant put into an agreement. Remember the agreement is between you and your ex not you and your kid.

That said, if kid fails their first year then its not technically full time school so you could argue that they arent a child of the marriage.

For an agreement I would recommend:

1. One post secondary degree or age of 22 whichever comes first.
    2. Tuition, books, required equipment, transportation to/from school, residence/meal plan, rent/food and any other agreed upon expenses.
    3. Transcripts will be provided with full receipts at the end of the term.
    4. Childs portion of expense
    5. Child must apply for all available grants, bursaries, scholarships and awards
    6. Full details on awards outlined in 5 to be provided immediately

You can have all the expectations of your kid that you want but if they don't want to behave and be smart in school then they are screwing themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      Theres a lot you cant put into an agreement. Remember the agreement is between you and your ex not you and your kid.

That said, if kid fails their first year then its not technically full time school so you could argue that they arent a child of the marriage.

For an agreement I would recommend:

1. One post secondary degree or age of 22 whichever comes first.
      2. Tuition, books, required equipment, transportation to/from school, residence/meal plan, rent/food and any other agreed upon expenses.
      3. Transcripts will be provided with full receipts at the end of the term.
      4. Childs portion of expense
      5. Child must apply for all available grants, bursaries, scholarships and awards
      6. Full details on awards outlined in 5 to be provided immediately

You can have all the expectations of your kid that you want but if they don't want to behave and be smart in school then they are screwing themselves.

Thanks so much

Comment

Originally posted by Star7ontario View Post
        Thanks so much

Will the child being out of full time education for a year before going back to school affect any of this? They're on their year off now.

Comment

If they are working full time their income should mean they can contribute a healthy amount to the school costs. Technically you could argue that you arent required to pay cs for the year but its better to argue for the full third contribution instead.

Im not a lawyer though so remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            If they are working full time their income should mean they can contribute a healthy amount to the school costs. Technically you could argue that you arent required to pay cs for the year but its better to argue for the full third contribution instead.

Im not a lawyer though so remember that.

Neither of us pay child support. In our final order of mediation we agreed and signed to no child support and the kids could decide where and when they visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Star7ontario View Post
              Neither of us pay child support. In our final order of mediation we agreed and signed to no child support and the kids could decide where and when they visit.

Even if my daughter lives with me full time and attends school, I would not ask for CS.

Comment

Ok but if she goes away to school you pay her living expenses.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X