X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grateful Dad

Hi Folks,

I would just like to introduce myself to all you helpful people. I first found this forum just over a year ago and signed up but did not feel the need to post since I found all the info I needed just by reading existing threads. Now I've got a few questions (which I will later post in the appropriate places) but could not remember my username/password combo so I have recently signed up again.

My wife first told me of her intention of leaving me and our two young children during the fall of 2009. As of June 2010 we have a legal separation agreement document giving us shared custody but stating that the children are to live primarily with me. In fact, they live with me exclusively right now but she comes to visit most weekends. The separation agreement also defined how our assets would be split (done).

I feel fortunate that the separation agreement process went fairly smoothly and quickly since I know it is not always the case. I guess it was largely because there was no fighting over where the kids would live, or anything for that matter, but also because of what I learned here on this forum. One of the first things I came across was the suggestion to get two books: Tug of War, and some other one who's title escapes me at the moment. Anyway, those resources plus the various tips I read here proved invaluable to me.

Of course there's a long sad story behind all of this, but I won't bore you with it as we all have one. The bottom line is that I'm now a single dad raising two beautiful little girls mostly on my own. I would never in a million years have imagined myself in this position but then again I suppose no one does.

Once again, thank you to all those helping others by sharing their wisdom and experience.

We have almost identical stories. My ex announced in the Fall '09 that he wanted to separate and it was all official in the Spring of 2010. My two children live with me the majority of the time as well.

I know you don't want to hear my story but I did want to echo what you said here (minus the part about the books because I never read them):

I feel fortunate that the separation agreement process went fairly smoothly and quickly since I know it is not always the case. I guess it was largely because there was no fighting over where the kids would live, or anything for that matter, but also because of what I learned here on this forum. One of the first things I came across was the suggestion to get two books: Tug of War, and some other one who's title escapes me at the moment. Anyway, those resources plus the various tips I read here proved invaluable to me.

Of course there's a long sad story behind all of this, but I won't bore you with it as we all have one. The bottom line is that I'm now a single dad raising two beautiful little girls mostly on my own. I would never in a million years have imagined myself in this position but then again I suppose no one does.

Once again, thank you to all those helping others by sharing their wisdom and experience.
    Thank you to those of you who helped me along my journey as well. I greatly appreciate it. This website was a huge source of information for me and this information is what really helped make our separation process a smooth one. Thanks!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X