Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a domestic violent parent ... be a good parent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billiechic View Post
    EXCUSE ME??? Have you ever been abused? Do you KNOW what that does to a person?? Maybe if the father WAS abusive and has changed his ways, but not if he is continuing to abuse.

Like I said before, the loss and abandonment issues are NOTHING compared to the damage done to a child who has learned that love=hitting, yelling and abuse.

I know this for a fact. My ex was the one subject to abuse his whole life, and he grew up to be exactly like his father. His father left the home when his much younger brother was only 3. Yes, he suffered, a LOT, but that teenager is not angry, does not lash out at people and knows how to show love. Yes, he has abandonment issues and needs his older brother's guidance, but HE is not abusive himself.

I have to ask this then, if it was the the mother, would your position be any different? What and how much would constitute abuse or abusive? Any amount or any form?

Have you ever yelled at your kids, have you ever grabbed them by the arm, that may have been a little too rough?....and I'm just using "you" in general terms....I don't me you as a person, but hypothetically.

The reason why I asked this because I was in an 'abusive' relationship, where my ex 'abused' the children. For example, once was in a Wal-Mart and mom slapped son across the face. Another time I came home son had mom's hand print across son's face....and one last example, but certainly not least she was bathing our son in the tub, I heard her voice getting louder, I had a broken ankle, I got up stairs to witness her, shaking him by the arm and yelling at him, "sit still, you worthless piece of sh!t".

So, I have to ask, should a mother continue to mother? I did not report this? Should I be a father? At the time my ex was in depression, tried top commit suicide, I found her and called 911. I wanted to help, I didn't think, at the time removing me or the children would help, to finally one day I couldn't take it anymore...too many images in my head. So I told her we were braking up? So, she beat me to the punch line, moved the children out, wouldn't let me see them, and demanded CS.

I could have in hindsight...we all know about hind sight...reported all of this...but didn't as I wanted the children to have a mother.....she even called me on it, blaming me, stating, I should have reported her and why didn't I? That it was all my fault.

I think it's tough question to make moves that would eliminate a parent from our children's lives. And we need to be careful, to what we believe is abusive.

You know that in trial, this postpartum issue for woman, I'm a bastard if I try and bring any issue, including abuse into court that was in any time linked to her 'condition', not only that, I'm chastised for it.

I won

Comment

EXCUSE ME??? Have you ever been abused? Do you KNOW what that does to a person?? Maybe if the father WAS abusive and has changed his ways, but not if he is continuing to abuse.

Like I said before, the loss and abandonment issues are NOTHING compared to the damage done to a child who has learned that love=hitting, yelling and abuse.

I know this for a fact. My ex was the one subject to abuse his whole life, and he grew up to be exactly like his father. His father left the home when his much younger brother was only 3. Yes, he suffered, a LOT, but that teenager is not angry, does not lash out at people and knows how to show love. Yes, he has abandonment issues and needs his older brother's guidance, but HE is not abusive himself.

I have to ask this then, if it was the the mother, would your position be any different? What and how much would constitute abuse or abusive? Any amount or any form?

Have you ever yelled at your kids, have you ever grabbed them by the arm, that may have been a little too rough?....and I'm just using "you" in general terms....I don't me you as a person, but hypothetically.

The reason why I asked this because I was in an 'abusive' relationship, where my ex 'abused' the children. For example, once was in a Wal-Mart and mom slapped son across the face. Another time I came home son had mom's hand print across son's face....and one last example, but certainly not least she was bathing our son in the tub, I heard her voice getting louder, I had a broken ankle, I got up stairs to witness her, shaking him by the arm and yelling at him, "sit still, you worthless piece of sh!t".

So, I have to ask, should a mother continue to mother? I did not report this? Should I be a father? At the time my ex was in depression, tried to commit suicide, I found her and called 911. I wanted to help, I didn't think, at the time removing me or the children would help on make things worse, to finally one day I couldn't take it anymore...too many images in my head. So I told her we were braking up? So, she beat me to the punch line, moved the children out, wouldn't let me see them, and demanded CS.

I could have in hindsight...we all know about hind sight...reported all of this...but didn't as I wanted the children to have a mother, her to get help.....she even called me on it, blaming me, stating, I should have reported her and why didn't I? That it was all my fault. I really started to believe it myself!

I think it's tough question? To make moves that would eliminate a parent from our children's lives. And we need to be careful, to what we believe is abusive.

You know that in trial, this postpartum issue for woman, I'm a bastard if I try and bring any issue, including abuse into court that was in any time linked to her 'condition', not only that, I'm chastised for it.

I as a man, have to wonder, if this was reversed, would I have those same protections from the courts or the public? I'm thinking not!

Sorry for the long response...when I read the issues in here, it just brings up a lot of crap that I went through not only as a parent, but as a father, question that I have in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by LostFather View Post

So, I have to ask, should a mother continue to mother? I did not report this? Should I be a father? At the time my ex was in depression, tried to commit suicide, I found her and called 911. I wanted to help, I didn't think, at the time removing me or the children would help on make things worse, to finally one day I couldn't take it anymore...too many images in my head. So I told her we were braking up? So, she beat me to the punch line, moved the children out, wouldn't let me see them, and demanded CS.

I could have in hindsight...we all know about hind sight...reported all of this...but didn't as I wanted the children to have a mother, her to get help.....she even called me on it, blaming me, stating, I should have reported her and why didn't I? That it was all my fault. I really started to believe it myself!

I think it's tough question? To make moves that would eliminate a parent from our children's lives. And we need to be careful, to what we believe is abusive.

I as a man, have to wonder, if this was reversed, would I have those same protections from the courts or the public? I'm thinking not!

Sorry for the long response...when I read the issues in here, it just brings up a lot of crap that I went through not only as a parent, but as a father, question that I have in my mind.
        Protections??

I haven't experienced any of these so called protections. My ex has said viscious things about me and believe me I don't get the impression anyone is "chastising" him for it.

I see so much mysogeny on this forum it's unreal. I'd like to say I understand that men are fed up being biased towards but from my personal experience this is not the case. I've read a bunch of accounts in this forum alone, from women who would also tell you this has certainly not been the case for them either.

Man, woman, whatever. Abuse is a crappy subject to talk about and an even worse one to live with. Things are never as black and white as we make them seem via text in the light of a new day.

Comment

Did you mean Misogyny? -- LOL -- I think not. Many of the active participants are female ... Mind you, gender aside, we've had our share of troublemakers in the past.

Comment

NO, it wouldn't. If the mother was abusive and the father wasn't then I support the father being the custodial parent. Abuse is abuse, regardless of who does it. But I did not say that an abusive parent should not have a second chance.

And to answer your question..NO I have NEVER touched my child in anger. I admit that I have raised my voice (as I'm sure every parent has done at some point), but I've seen first hand what continuous yelling, name calling and sometimes violence can do. I'm not claiming to be perfect. Like everyone else I have had a difficult time disciplining my child and controlling my emotions, but that is human. It is how we deal with those emotions that either makes us abusive or not, having them is completely normal.

Comment

NO, it wouldn't. If the mother was abusive and the father wasn't then I support the father being the custodial parent. Abuse is abuse, regardless of who does it. But I did not say that an abusive parent should not have a second chance.

And to answer your question..NO I have NEVER touched my child in anger. I admit that I have raised my voice (as I'm sure every parent has done at some point), but I've seen first hand what continuous yelling, name calling and sometimes violence can do. I'm not claiming to be perfect. Like everyone else I have had a difficult time disciplining my child and controlling my emotions, but that is human. It is how we deal with those emotions that either makes us abusive or not, having them is completely normal.
              Well said ... and a female parent perspective I may add...

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity View Post
                Did you mean Misogyny? -- LOL -- I think not. Many of the active participants are female ... Mind you, gender aside, we've had our share of troublemakers in the past.

yes misogyny

Anyway yeh I have read a few posts that were definitely pro dad anti mom (thats not to say there werent lots of people to defend the opposite positions of course) but that could just be luck of the draw of the specific posts I found.

Comment

Originally posted by UniversityMom View Post
                  yes misogyny

Anyway yeh I have read a few posts that were definitely pro dad anti mom (thats not to say there werent lots of people to defend the opposite positions of course) but that could just be luck of the draw of the specific posts I found.
                  Yeah...Contingent upon the contributing members of the time.

The forum is not against you but it's members can only offer comments on information you provide. If you give chance - you're likely to receive.

By the way.. You write well...
                  Last edited by logicalvelocity; 05-25-2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity View Post

By the way.. You write well...
                    Thanks!

Shame about my pisspoor spelling though lol.

Comment

Thanks!

Shame about my pisspoor spelling though lol.
                      If its a peeve..

There's:
                      • IE for Internet Explorer - Free Browser add on;
                      • Recent Firefox and Chrome - Check browser settings with respect to built in spell checker.

Comment

Protections??

I haven't experienced any of these so called protections. My ex has said viscious things about me and believe me I don't get the impression anyone is "chastising" him for it.

I see so much mysogeny on this forum it's unreal. I'd like to say I understand that men are fed up being biased towards but from my personal experience this is not the case. I've read a bunch of accounts in this forum alone, from women who would also tell you this has certainly not been the case for them either.

Man, woman, whatever. Abuse is a crappy subject to talk about and an even worse one to live with. Things are never as black and white as we make them seem via text in the light of a new day.
                        Agreed, it it also hard to get the actual impact or emotions that come with our issues past the keyboard, one being that I am a father going though the system of bias, two, treated like those "bad apples" or abusive father's, in turn painting us with the same brush.

Further, in the same respect, I know that all women are not the same as my ex, I know there are plenty of mothers out there (I'm now married to one) that want the fathers to participate and be involved more with their children and recognize our importance. I am wanting as much contact with my children as possible. I have been forced to fight tooth and nail for every inch for the past 3.5 years, only to be thwarted by the mother at every corner.

I went from no access, to every second weekend (4 days a month), to now I have an over night through the week, my weekends are from Fri to Monday morning, 3 weeks in the summer, extra days on long weekends, father's day, Every second March Break and half their time off over Christmas.

I'm asking for Thurs night every week as well. The children would lose the extra transfer back to mom's for one night, which I believe less upheaval which the OCL agreed, and when it's my weekend it gives the children a little more time to be enrolled in sports, not mention the extra time that we can have to together.

Hard to enter them in sports or other activities when you only have your children for one night through the week, hard to get past picking them up just to hand them over to another parent.

In closing I'm guessing that is why we're all here, because we seem to have mutual (for the most part anyway) concerns for our children, and plight's with our ex's as our sexes are different, our issues will most likely be too.

Comment

Agreed, it it also hard to get the actual impact or emotions that come with our issues past the keyboard, one being that I am a father going though the system of bias, two, treated like those "bad apples" or abusive father's, in turn painting us with the same brush.
                          Too true LostFather, text is a difficult medium to communicate through. I've read through your post here and its truly heart breaking to me that you have had to fight so hard to see your child.

I cannot imagine wanting to keep my child away from her father. The very notion of keeping a child away from people who love him or her, regardless of gender, age, income or even relation as far as I am concerned seems nothing less than evil.
                          I know that is a very harsh word but the consequences of a loving parent (or aunt, or grandmother or whatever) being kept from a child for no real reason are harsh.

My thoughts go out to you LF

Comment

Having traveled what constitutes domestic violence is very much a relative cultural value. On a few occasions I had been chastised by by ex-wife's family (even two of her sisters) for not beating her.

Obviously people who live in these cultures still love their families. Many are great parents and good people.

Comment

regardless of the cultural norm it is not right. It harms the abused parent and the child. Just because it is "acceptable" does not mean it leave no impact on the person.

Comment

Parenting is parenting and Violence is violence, None of us are perfect but when violence affects a person physically it will ONLY get worse. It affects all the people involved with that individual and it will not go away until that person is removed from your life. These people do not care for the happiness, security or well being of those associated with them. It is worse when these people have the ability to manipulate those around them and make them think that they are in the wrong!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X