Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More travel and pasport issues/Common Law parents Beware!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More travel and pasport issues/Common Law parents Beware!

After reading several threads regarding travel consent and passport issues, I thought I should post my most recent dilemma/revelation.

I applied for passports for my son and I, and I included all the necessary documentation, including both our birth certificates.
    I received a call from passport Canada, explaining that because my child is from a common law union, they require a "long form" birth certificate for my son, even though his mother signed the original passport application, and travel consent forms, and they have his regular birth certificate.
    Getting a "long form" birth certificate is a major pain in the a#*! The Ontario government should give these to common law couples automatically IMO, because obviously the regular birth certificate they gave us is not enough for them to approve a passport! What a joke!
    The "long form" application doesn't even ask for the non-applying parents address or phone number! It seems to me to be a simple tax grab opportunity to collect another $35.00 for no reason!
    I have cancelled my trip, as I won't get the passport in time now!
    If you have a child common law...get the "long form"...you're going to need it!
    I went right to the service canada office, who should have known this, but after going through my application line by line, nothing about "long form" certificates was even mentioned. If I was a rich man, I would be tempted to start some type of litigation against the government for ruining my travel plans! Very frustrating indeed!

I got my long form certs on the Service Ontario WEB site...they sent it in three days!!

Comment

Priveteone, please elaborate....
      Are you saying you were able to fill out the application on line? What about signatures etc.?
      I got the forms on line but assumed I would have to take them completed to a service desk somewhere and stand in line forever...
      As mentioned, I have already had to cancel my travel plans over this, and they have his regular birth certificate tied up now....
      Frustrating!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X