X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• man gets scrwed for children he didnt father

Another man that would be better off just to leave Canada

IRK MAKIN From Thursday's Globe and MailJanuary 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM EST A Toronto man is on the hook to pay child support, notwithstanding a DNA test that proved he is not the biological father of his ex-wife's twins, an Ontario Superior Court judge has ruled.Madam Justice Katherine van Rensburg ordered Pasqualino Cornelio to continue paying child support to the 16-year-old twins – regardless of whether he was bamboozled by a philandering wife.“While the failure of Anciolina Cornelio to disclose to her husband the fact that she had an extramarital affair – and that the twins might not be his biological children – may have been a moral wrong against Mr. Cornelio, it is a wrong that does not afford him a legal remedy to recover child support he has already paid, and that does not permit him to stop paying child support,” Judge van Rensburg said.Mr. Cornelio began making support payments soon after he separated from his wife in 1998. He had the DNA test after his former spouse recently sought an increase in the payments and a reduction in his time with the twins. Upon learning that he was not the biological father, Mr. Cornelio claimed to be a victim of misrepresentation or fraud.He asked to be excused from paying child support and demanded reimbursement of tens of thousands of dollars he has paid over the years.Ms. Cornelio was unable to shed light on the mystery of the twins' parentage. “Ms. Cornelio denies knowledge of who the twins' biological father might be,” Judge van Rensburg said. “In fact, she claims to have no memory of an extramarital affair preceding their birth, which she attributes to the medication she was taking at the time.” The judge noted that Mr. Cornelio wondered at the time of his separation whether a man named Tony with whom his wife had had an affair might be the father of the children.“It was not until access was interrupted and Ms. Cornelio commenced proceedings seeking increased child support that the respondent began pursuing this issue,” the judge remarked.In any event, she said that it would be wrong for the children to suffer for events over which they had no control.“Mr. Cornelio was the only father the twins knew during the course of the marriage,” Judge van Rensburg said. “The relationship that developed from the time of their birth was the natural relationship between a parent and his children.“The fact of that relationship – even if it has now become strained – is sufficient to require Mr. Cornelio to continue to contribute toward the children's material needs.”Child support, Judge van Rensburg said, is the right of a child even if a parent behaves poorly, “whether it be delay in pursuing support, an attempt to contract out of support, or the failure to disclose an extramarital affair that may have led to the conception of the child.” Judge van Rensburg noted that two separate lines of jurisprudence have developed in comparable cases. One focuses on being fair to an individual who discovers that he is not a biological parent. The other concentrates on the best interests of the child. She pointed to an expansive definition of “parent” under the Family Law Act under which Mr. Cornelio can be seen as “a person who has demonstrated a settled intention to treat a child as a child of his or her family.

Wow, sorry to see that he discovered that they were not his biologically and he wasn't given the option back when if he had known.. but I agree, it's not fair that the children be punished for the stupidity of the mother, and how heartbreaking that even though he's been the only father the children know, he wants to dump his support rather than continue to behave like their father.
    I will never understand how a person can shut off emotions like that and only factor in the money.

Comment

What is most terrible is that these twins are having to endure this scandal, in the public eye no less! That both of these parents have allowed the matter to get this far is worse than reprehensible.

Mom's a real piece of work. She screws around, gets pregnant then 16 years later, in the face of overwhelming evidence, still tries to run from responsibility by saying she "...can't recall...due to the medication she was taking". LAME.

But what really takes the cake is that she can't leave well enough alone, keep the skeleton in the closet, but instead goes to court seeking to increase child support AND denies access!! Obviously there could be exentuating circumstances, but sheesh.

Yes, the Dad should continue to pay child support, he was the Dad all those years. But as soon as those kids leave her care, he should immediately be able to turn around and sue the Mom personally away from family court for damages arising from the fraud she perpetrated when she misled him starting nine months before those kids were born and ending when he makes his last CS payment.

She should be made to pay him back every red cent she stole, and then sought to greedily further steal from him.

Comment

If he's not able to see them, he should leave Canada. This country causes these problems, so Canada should pay to look after the children, not the poor guy.

Tax payers having to foot these bills would cause quicker reform I bet!

He should be able to act as a gardian/father figure, but not pay a cent. He should not have to pay 10 to 15k in legal fees to try and get his money back......

And people wonder why some guys snap and do regretable things....yah

Comment

The original post doesn't say that no access was ordered in the end. Surely he still has access.

It would be interesting to know whether CS was increased and/or access reduced.

Comment

Yah not sure how the rest of the case went down. Would be good to know

Comment

the part that I do not get is that he had suspicions that she was having an affair way back when,when they first separated, why not get the DNA test as soon as he thought that?? The way I read it is that he had the knowledge that the kids may not be his but paid, it was only until the request for an increase that he decided to persue the DNA test.

The kids are the ones who are going to be hurt the worst. All of a sudden they find out that Dad is not their bio dad. Must be tomenting them big time.

Would this case not be the same as a man/woman who has been acting as the parent to their partners child for years that get nicked for CS even though the NC bio parent is paying support??

Comment

Why should he continue to pay child support they are not his children. I think the judge should force the women to go after the correct father by stopping support by the non bio father that way the mother would feel pressured to go after the real father for child support. She should pay him back all the money he gave her by taking so much from her a month once she proves who the father is and gets some money coming in each month from him. This is so unfair that this man is being treated this way. I have heard of a case of Chiomerea (not sure of spelling) ( which is a person that has 2 types of DNA) A women was going to loose her children because they did not have her DNA when it turns out she had 2 Strains of DNA and thus the children were hers. I wonder if this could be the case? Probably not and if not then like a said this man should not pay support.

Comment

I agree 100% with that ruling. He was the only father they knew and he has been acting as the father - he has an obligation to pay support under current family law. Fairly simple really.

Now that being said, if they find the bio dad he should have his CS responsibility reduced and the bio pay a share. As far as it being fraud, he would have to show that the wife knew he wasn't the father and actively decieved him - which doesn't appear to be the case. If he could prove that, then he could pursue some financial compensation in civil court, though I don't know if there is a precedent for that.

Thank god my daughter looks exactly like me - I don't have any worries

Comment

would you agree with the ruling if you were the one paying for support for children that are not yours? Quite possibly she is living with the man that is the father and getting money from the other guy its not fair!

Comment

Originally posted by Ihave2kidsIcannotsee View Post
                      would you agree with the ruling if you were the one paying for support for children that are not yours? Quite possibly she is living with the man that is the father and getting money from the other guy its not fair!
                      Yes, I would. It doesn't change the fact that the guy lived with, raised and probably loves those kids. Having been screwed by the Mom doesn't change that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X