Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sounds like my lawyer is gonna bail on me...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aden, I'm only going on what I understand to be true, mind you, but it's my understanding that a) she does NOT have the right to decide the children cannot see you until the lawyers reach agreement; that is what interim (or interim interim) orders are all about, and b) unless she can show that you are or should be (meaning you're deliberately under-employing yourself) earning more per month, her asking for $1200/mo will not happen. If I'm wrong on that, somebody let me know, because my ex earns anywhere from $75,000 to $95,000 per year, and I'm told his monthly child support amount will be around $1000 per month (2 kids), and his 'offer' of spousal support was for $600/mo for 6 monthes following the separation (that offer was rejected, BTW!).

Comment

yes you right ....

I am being told that I am being very generous in this department...I have to really think hard on it.. she does not want to go to court at all.. shes mentioned that a few times....so???? I am thinking of seeing what my lawyer can negotiate, he`s the professional at this stuff.. sent you that info by the way as well....
      Cheers.
      Aden

Comment

Sasha1

Considering his DUI convictions and pending sentence I wouldn't allow him to drive with the children period. Until he has completed a rehab program. What about supervised visits until he sobers up? I'd also try and get the custody straitened out before he is incarcerated.

Yes, the court system is a expensive route to litigate. My ex had to have three court order against him before he finally came up with disclosure. The third Judge finally threatened to strike out his pleadings. He then finally came up with the documents.

Do you, your lawyer have his last 3 years income tax. This should help determine his salary. Do you think he is hiding assets or hiding some of his salary.

You don't seem all that confident in your lawyer, perhaps it is time to look for someone else. Or have legal aid help you with the child support issue then pay for a lawyer for the other issues.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Aden,

I know this is a hard time for you emotionally. Your in the "bewildered" stage. Soon you will be at the "angry" stage. Do not let your ex dictate when you can see your children. Your children have a right to see you and your ex has no right to dictate to you when and how often you can see them until an agreement or court order is in place.

Comment

Thanks

So yes,
            The problem is that she thinks that she can hold them.., yes I am still bewildered.

She seems to blame me for everything these days.. her bankruptcy everything... it is all so very sad.. this issue..
            I am trying to do what I can, Thanks,
            Aden

Comment

Grace, I agree he shouldn't take the kids, and that's what caused the latest in the feud.. I refused to allow him to take them, but told him he could come here to see them or I would meet him somewhere. He won't see them at all unless it's under his conditions, so that's where it sits. My lawyer says he could say that he doesn't want to expose the kids to a hostile environment, and that's why he won't visit them, and that the court might even pat him on the back for his 'sacrifice'. I don't have many options, though; I can't trust him to be responsible with the kids, his family has tried to help him hide his breeches of the previous court orders, including that he not drink while the kids were in his care. So it would likely have to be a court-appointed supervisor, and my lawyer says besides being expensive, my ex would just have to behave himself a few times a month for a few monthes, and eventually will get a 'gold star' for behaviour, and I'll look like a neurotic, vengeful ex-wife. Then I'll be short on credibility and he'll be short on reasons to be responsible.

As for the disclosure, I don't know a lot about his income for 2005, but enough, I think. By that, I mean I know what his gross earnings were by the end of October.. after that, he started working for another company, so I don't have any details there. The main benefit to getting his disclosure now would be to illustrate that he's still drinking heavily; he's likely still using his debit card at the bars and liquor stores.

I don't really know what to say about my confidence in my lawyer; I'm really back and forth on it. I will talk to legal aid, though, and see if they can't help with at least some of it; this legal bill will wipe us out if I don't make some sort of change.

Any thoughts on what "completed a rehab program" would mean, in terms of my ex? I mean, right now he's supposedly going to AA twice a week "when he can", but I know he's still drinking, because he's phoned me drunk! Is it reasonable to ask that he keep a financial accounting of where his money goes? He's a liar, and he's lied to counsellors about how much and how often he drinks before, yet short of an in-patient program, how do you know when an alcoholic isn't drinking anymore?

Comment

sasha1,

What an awful situation. I still can't believe he's allowed to drive the kids around with a pending DUI charge. I hope he will have to serve some time in jail, maybe that will sober him up. Or when he faces the charges the Judge will force him into rehab. Is that coming up soon? Maybe they will suspend his licence.

As for getting his banks statement through disclosure he'll probably just say he was treating his friends to rounds at the bar while he was drinking soft drinks. Hard to prove.

Comment

True, but I highly doubt there's a judge out there who'd believe that he was so generous with his buddies while refusing to support his kids... his average monthly spending on alcohol (when he was with me - probably higher now) was around $1000/month.

In regard to the DUI, he was supposed to enter a plea last week, and didn't show up; now there's a warrant issued for his arrest. And he's not really allowed to drive the kids around, because he was given an automatic 3-month suspension following the charge. It's supposed to give him incentive to get his butt into court and deal with the issue. He's proposed that his parents come pick the kids up, which would be fine if he didn't have such a history of driving with a suspended licence, and his parents didn't have such a history of burying their heads in the sand while he breaks the law. Last word I had from him is that he's planning to fight the charge, and he's been 'pretending' that he's quit drinking, so I'm guessing he's going for a curative discharge. If that's granted, he will have to face some type of rehab program and report regularily to a probation officer, etc, in lieu of going to jail.

The timing is really quite an issue; if I don't get into court pretty quickly, he'll let the house be foreclosed on, forcing the kids and I out. Also, if he's sent to jail, and we haven't had our issues heard, there will be no order for support or custody. However, if I get him into court before he's convicted of the DUI charges, they don't hold as much weight in terms of showing him to be an alcoholic. I'm assuming that if he's in jail for his DUI, the court won't hear our custody/support/property issues in his absence?

Comment

Sasha1

Your situation is so sad. If he does end up in jail, there goes any hope of support. I do know that even if your husband is in custody your case will still move forward through the courts. Either his lawyer can represent him, or he can be video link in.

I hope this gets settle quickly for you, you must be so stressed.

Comment

Sasha, you have to remember that an impaired charge along with conditions is a very heavy duty charge these days,... it will be like a double edged swird for you.. taking care of him in the picture yet,, no spousal or child support- i feel for you.. you are a victim along with your kids,,.. very sad... Keep your chin up... you seem to have the tenacity needed to see this through..

Comment

Thanks Grace and Aden! I am stressed, and it's really a miserable situation in so many ways, but we'll get through it. I have faith that this is all happening for a reason, and someday I'll know why, but in the meantime, I'm just grateful to have my family and sites like this for support and strength to keep fighting the good fight.

Aden, I'm not sure what you mean, "an impaired charge along with conditions"? Can you elaborate on your post for me? (Brain's a bit overloaded, LOL!)

Comment

Re:

Conditions are placed on a person upon released either from being charged or from court proceedings, ie.. many impaired cases have strict zero tolerance conditions. ie.. NO drinking and driving not a drop... this depends on factors though.. but a history will generate more of these- normally licence supsensions and seizures etc...
                          hope that helped..

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X