This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form 8

So the ex has told me that I can expect her Form 8 to be served on me this week. She says it spells out what she wants in the divorce, which I can only assume I am going to disagree with on basically every point.

Any hints or tips re: what to expect now? I need to fill out a Form 10 within 30 days as I understand it, so I'll get on that right away. I need to get legal counsel figured out ASAP. Ack.

I'm happy to get the ball rolling on the divorce, but panicking a bit only because every decision I make from this point forward is going to be SO important.

about_time,

Wait until your served with their Application (Form 8). From the point of service, you have 30 days to Respond with and Answer (Form 10) In your Answer, you can indicate whether or not you agree with their claims.

Its a wait and see approach generally. Along with the form 8, they may also be serving you a financial statement and also notice of case conference (which is generally a first appearance in front of the Registrar to verify that the parties have served and filed all the required documents. You might also receive a case conference brief. It is quite possibly that if everything is in order, you may very well have your first case conference that very day.

For now, just take a wait and see approach and wait to be served.

lv

Comment

Still waiting for this form to arrive, but I spoke with a lawyer who said to basically do what LV suggested and wait for it to arrive. I can't even really discuss the issues with a lawyer yet because I have no idea what she will be after until I get served. The longer it takes the better as far as I'm concerned.

She had said after cancelling mediation that she still wanted a mediated settlement, but wanted it done through lawyers. Can I assume that if she's filing that this is likely off the table, or is this a normal procedural step which doesn't necessarily mean she wants it all worked out in court?

I'm getting a little freaked out re: the costs involved in doing this via lawyers. $300/hr + a $3000 retainer is fairly crippling on what I earn, but I'd never get Legal Aid. Is there some other option for those of us trapped in the financial middle?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X