Newb with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb with a question

Ok, so I am new to this site and I am hoping I can get some valuable information and a little direction. I shall open with this question...
    Is this site just people who have law questions...is it lawyers answering or just the general public?
    Ok, now for the hard question...
    In Ontario, can a step parent obtain parental rights without either biological parent losing their parental rights??
    Probably going to get alot of backlash for that question but its a genuine question that I have been searching the internet for the answer to.
    Thanks for your feedback

Originally posted by Mackbraemmett View Post
    Is this site just people who have law questions...is it lawyers answering or just the general public?
    While there are a few lawyers who frequent the site, they are careful to provide only generic inforarmation about precedents, procedure etc, and not advice specific to a particular situation. They have rules governing that sort of thing.

Most of us are just ordinary people who are going or have been through separation, divorce and the family law system, and are willing to share our experiences and offer suggestions. And we can get very specific but need to be taken with a grain of salt sometimes, as we come with our own biases. But it's better advice than the general public. Most people have no idea how family law works until they get into it, even married people!

Comment

This is a public forum. Posters on here are merely people with questions and people who offer advice based on their personal experiences.

Welcome.

Comment

Thank you! My divorce was not through lawyers, just a do it yourself divorce kit you can buy at staples...would not recommend that to anyone now that I have been through it and now three and a half years later am running into a whole host of issues

Comment

LOL Mac, I had the benefit of one of the most prestigeous law firms in the country. I wouldn't recommend them either. Not that I am in a bad state, but I would be in just as fine a state with a package from the rack at Staples.

Comment

In a nutshell I was extremely naive and my ex used various methods of extorsion and manipulation and I got screwed out of alot

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
              LOL Mac, I had the benefit of one of the most prestigeous law firms in the country. I wouldn't recommend them either. Not that I am in a bad state, but I would be in just as fine a state with a package from the rack at Staples.
              Ain't that the truth!

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                These were exactly my thoughts upon reading OP's second post. Not sure though if it would have saved me much time or $$ though because the to be ex is HC.
                It's worth thinking about for someone who does not have a lot of funds and very little conflict...might be worth a try if both parties can work out something on the kitchen table.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X