Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father gets $7,800 bill after reuniting with long-lost daughter

Father gets $7,800 bill after reuniting with long-lost daughter | CTV News

Harper says administrators at Batshaw Youth and Family Centres never reached out to him as her biological father, despite having all of his contact information on file. Then, when he found her himself, the foster home sent him a "parental contributions" bill for $7,800. "I don't understand how they could have my daughter, know who I am, not look for me, then send me a bill once I find her," Harper told CTV Montreal.

Just society treating a man as it has always seen him...as an ATM.

Utility and nothing more. Pay the bills and shut up.

Comment

It will be interesting to see, how he fares in fighting the fees, and in his legal actions. I hope he gets some justice.

Harper says he plans to fight the fees and is considering legal action against Batshaw Social Services for not contacting him about his daughter.

I wonder what the backstory is, on the Mother? Is she still in the picture somehow at all? Whatever happened to her?

Typical, social services agency non-answer:

"In all situations, social workers make regular attempts to locate parents, in the province of Quebec, across Canada, and any other countries, even in prisons," spokesperson Claire Roy said. "These efforts are always based on children's needs."

Comment

Just caught this story in the star and was planning to post it myself.

I will be very interested in seeing how this situation resolves after him being billed $7800 by the foster care agency after he worked so hard to find his own child and they had his contact info all along.

My ex hid my son from me for the first five months of his life and it is something I will never forgive her for.

I hope they are able to build a loving relationship and that she will get back some of what she lost through the actions taken by her mother and the foster care system.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X