V-day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope that was a typo and you meant B.

Along with our joint credit cards which were being paid. He suddenly stopped paying them this year and closed the account.

Stopped paying the utilities on the house this year as well.

Refuses to pay child support and has forced the sale of our home.

Then he has the nerve to ask for his spare car keys, tools, snowblower, and bbq back in his court papers.

R ya kidding me?

Comment

Originally posted by wantmyfreedom View Post

Along with our joint credit cards which were being paid. He suddenly stopped paying them this year and closed the account.

Then he has the nerve to ask for his spare car keys, tools, snowblower, and bbq back in his court papers.

R ya kidding me?
      If he is no longer in the house, he doesn't have to pay utilities. One of the first thing people are advised to do is close all joint accounts, so him closing the joint credit cards, that was the smart move. If they are in his name, even if you have a card, he is responsible for paying their debt, he would be silly to risk you running up the balances. I am not saying you would do this, but it does happen. If you cannot afford to buy him out, he has every right to force the sale of the house. He should be paying CS if he has left the mat home, that will be a slam dunk for you.

As for the spare car keys, tools, snowblower and bbq, is it really worth fighting over? Why wouldn't yo give these items back if they are actually his? That is spiteful and won't help you any. I know it may not be what you want to hear, but besides not paying CS, he did the right things by closing joint accounts and not paying for utilities in a house he doesn't live in.

I don't think you will have an issue with the valuation date, especially with your tax returns showing married, but from here on out, what happened in the past doesn't matter, there are laws set in place and you will have a much easier time if you follow the rules. Let him try to argue the v-date was in 2007, I wouldn't waste your time on it.

Comment

R ya kidding me?
        Its pretty standard that join accounts are closed. What you have to be concerned about is knowing the actual date of separation, which will determine the value of the assets and debts to be split.

And why should he pay utilities on the house when he gets no benefit from them.

He should pay child support, and you should be seeking this, it is the right of the children. You can go to court to get it if he refuses. Mysupportcalculator.ca will give you a rough idea of how much.

As for his spare keys etc., I think you have to look at them individually. You have no need for his car keys, so why fight. The tools, do you need them to maintain the home? Or does he need them for his work? Did he buy them for himself or for for joint use. The snowblower and BBQ, that could be either way.

In any case, document the fact he asked for them, and that you gave them back and on what date. You can use that as part of the proof that separation was in 2014. Not many people would leave those items in homes they don't live in....

Comment

R ya kidding me?
          I'd be happy to return all his personal belongings in exchange for his agreement that 2014 is the separation date, and him starting to pay CS.

Or, I'd be happy to return all his belongings now that he has given more proof that 2014 is the separation date. Now you have the date of credit card closure and the switch to utilities being in your name as extra documentation for proof.

Get interim CS going though. Can you afford the house on your own?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The only issue I am focused on is the separation date. I am more confidant now knowing that I have the documentation to support the facts in my case. Thanks to all of you pointing out the obvious.

Nobody is stopping this dude from picking up his belongings. The stuff was left here. The plan is that I am going to leave it all here when I move out.

I dont play games. I have bigger fish to fry like child support, equalizing, and my hefty legal bill. Legally he doesn't have to pay for any utilities and that is why I am paying for them. You're right, he is not benefiting from them but his kids are.

Trying to get the interim child support going but he earns the bulk of his income through cash tips. Obtaining financial disclosure was like squeezing a stone to drink water. He low balled all the equity in our home and investment property. Lied about everything.

We are currently going through examination and discovery. I have to vacate my home now with no support orders in place. My savings are drained and the kids and I will be homeless in a couple of months.

Comment

You should be able to get an Interim Order for support. Often this is done on consent (because opposing counsel knows to object would be futile, particularly when children are involved).

Comment

We have to impute him first......

Some people just make the process more difficult. I don't think this man realizes that its costing him more money in legal bills to be petty and ridiculous.

Maybe he's trying to drive up my costs?

Nobody knows....

Comment

Of course he's intent on driving up your costs.

It is in his lawyer's best interests to keep the two of you in litigation. As long as your ex has a good job, assets, money in the bank, you can count on continued court dealings.

You need to prepare a budget and indicate your ex's average annual income for past 3 years. The imputed income (temporary) could be much higher than you will receive down the road. This generally happens to encourage the other side to get their shit together and not drag things out.

If you have been left high and dry with no money it should be relatively easy for your lawyer to get Interim support for you. Will take a 10 minute court appearance.

Hope you have experienced legal counsel. Interim support is not difficult to obtain.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X