X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I legally move stuff to storage

Hi

When the future x left, he left everything, I have given him all the marital possessions in order to get things moving along,

I need to clear out the garage and have all stuff off the property, so that it is not lost to the new owners

Is it legal for me to move it to storage, or do I just leave it on the property for the new owners?

There is also a trailer loaded with motorized toys, that I would also need to move. There is no insurance on trailer or toys

As far as the future x coming back to get his stuff, it's been 3 years, in that time he could have easily came to get his stuff

Is it okay for me to move stuff to a storage then have the information and key sent to his lawyer.

You cannot leave it there. As for putting it into storage then your name is on the unit and you have to pay for it. I would contact his lawyer and set a time frame that he has to get his stuff before a certain reasonable date or it will be disposed off. Then either contact a charity to come get it or something.

Is the deal for the house done??

Comment

Thank you for the response,

Yes the deal for the house is in the works, the last question they had for me yesterday was how soon can they take possession, I told them by the 15th of October,

I don't have anything to worry about them coming back to me years later saying that I didn't divulge the condition of the house because I told them of ever little thing that is wrong. They brought in their own contractor, as well as saw the documents that I had from the 3 contractors that I had in.

They are buying it for the land that it is sitting on, paying out the existing mortgage, the house sits back from the road, the wife kept saying it's like not even being in town, such a large private lot.

They are well aware of how difficult the future x is, they know people that know him,

I thought that I would be able to put the storage in his name, if he would pay the proper amount of child support I might be willing to pay his storage fees,

Is it appropriate for me to send his lawyer a letter stating this, when I have a lawyer on retainer for the divorce, my divorce lawyer is not handling any aspect of the marital home.

Comment

I dont think you can put the locker in his name. You probably have to fill out a form for the rental and you cannot legally obligate him to something like that. Call up the storage place to find out for sure. Do not offer to pay his storage fees, the reason you are doing this is to get rid of his stuff, not to obligate yourself more.

I would send the letter to his lawyer and save some money. Does your ex have to sign for the sale of the house??

Comment

Thank you

He is supposed to sign, but if he is going to be difficult, then I have a real estate lawyer that already has the papers ready to file a motion to have the judge sign.

I can prove with out a shadow of a doubt that this sale is the best that we are going to get, their contractor did the whole house not just the roof truss issue and he is giving me a copy of all the things that need to be fixed.

You are right I don't want to obligate myself to being the care taker of his belongings.

I guess his lawyer will have a very interesting read with all the documents that I forward him, the future x has told him that the house is worth way more than it really is,

On our financial's I put the house at 165 which was from an appraisal from 07, on the future x's financial's he put the house at 215, yet we had a hard time getting 150,

Comment

That puts the brakes on moving stuff to storage place, if I put it there I sign then I am obligated to pay, I thought that maybe just maybe there was some kind of third party signing

This bites, I have enough of my own stuff to do to prepare for a move let alone have to worry that he won't come get his stuff, if I leave it the new owners will either be happy, or they will file a lawsuit against us, so on the very last day, I will probably have to move his stuff

This dude is like a hoarder, attic of garage is full, it's all been broken old blinds that were useless, old pieces of carpet stained, broken lawn chairs, nothing of any value, anything of value has been stored in the house,

Comment

Take pics and notify lawyer with a definite time line ,if no response hire a bin and clear the garage .Give the furniture to a charity.... or auction it off and send his lawyer the proceeds after fees.Cant complain then-he got the value of furniture back!

Comment

Does he have family anyway near you?Then you could just dump it there and make it their problem instead of yours !

Comment

^ditto^ easypeasy and then done with!

Comment

Well he does, but not the kinda people that have anywhere to put things, his sister is not far, she is a junkie prostitute has been for more than 20 years, she looks it, I'm not sure what corner she works, but I know it's in a city near me

Pictures have been taken, getting up to in the attic of the garage is not the funnest, so I'm taking pictures of that they will only be from where the ladder goes up, and will have it written that he is responsible for cleaning it out, I will also have a legal document done to absolve me from any future action from the new owner

The kids and I emptied the basement it was such a shame the basement is damp, there were dresser's from the 1940's that were his grandmothers and they were ruined.

Comment

Definitely don't pay for storage of what sounds like mostly junk. Send a letter to his lawyer w/a "respond by" date - send it Registered Mail.

The dumpster idea is good if all else fails. After 3 years this is a big undertaking for you. I'd get the dumpster, get shut of the crap and call it a day. You will have given fair warning. What a nightmare.

Comment

It is a nightmare, and if he don't want to respond he don't not even to his lawyer,

With the sale of the house I will be one step closer to a divorce.

Comment

just take pictures of the stuff you get rid of. That way he cannot say you threw out some priceless antiques. Not sure what else you can do to protect your ass on this. If he doesnt respond to his lawyer then not much you can do but he would be hard pressed to say that the stuff was important to him when he ignores timelines to get stuff out.

Comment

If your ex's lawyer has a parking lot (not in a highrise downtown building) I'd simply load the crap into the trailer and leave it in the lawyer's parking lot. Only thing you have to be sure of is that the lawyer does in fact represent your ex. Just do up a letter and have the receptionist at the law firm sign for the envelope (receipt for the trailer load of crap).

Comment

Arabian that would be so funny, unfortunately there is a complete house, garage tools, trailer loaded with toys, the best is 3000 miles distance,

It'll probably cost about 6000 to get the stuff moved to where he lives, I'm in Ontario and he is in Alberta,

Sorry Alberta you get to keep him

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X