This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just a quick intro

hi folks. i have been reading this forum for quite some time and thought i would introduce myself. i am married to my husband of 4.5 years and husband has had sole interim custody of the children from his previous marriage for past 6 years. his ex continues to draw things out in court and no finalization of custody. the children see their mother every other weekend, and only recently have the ex been allowed to see them all three together. children's lawyer's office has been involved in past and recommended sole custody to father (and split access) kids are happy and well adjusted, but of course would like more time with mother. there has been significant mental health issues in past related to ex, and although she is more stable now, there remains considerable emotional manipulation, etc. i guess my biggest fear is our lives lives will be turned upside down after all these years. what would be the chances. the two older kids have said they do not want to live with mom, but one says he cannot tell his mother this d/t fear of how she will react. we just try to make life seem normal, knowing there is nothing normal about it.

thanks for listening,

very tired

verytired,

welcome to the forum.

The older child can express their views to the children's lawyer. Request the re-involvement of the children's lawyer. It appears that maybe you only have interim orders in place. Generally the courts don't like to change status quo arrangements, especially if everything is working out well for the children.

lv

Comment

Hi verytired and welcome to the forums! That's an appropriate nick - 6 years of litigation would make anyone very tired.

Well, I'm looking at it from a lawyer's point of view, but in my opinion, after 6 years of litigation it's time to wrap things up. I'd recommend moving the case to trial. I realize that's an expensive option, but it would give some sort of finality to the situation.

While I obviously don't know the details of your sitation enough to say for sure, if dad has interim sole custody, the Children's Lawyer recommends sole custody and the children are well adjusted considering the stress of the situation, then dad should be successful at trial.

If dad is successful at trial, then mom faces the prospect of a high costs award against her.
      Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X