This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found out ex is self representing

How does it work or is there a difference when a party is self representing in court ? My ex has filed that he will be representing himself in court.

He will be behind the 8 ball if you are lawyered up yourself.
    Self-repping is a daunting task thats is not easily successfully accomplished.

The judge would most likely give him/hr some lee-way with minor details, but he will be punished heavily if he completely ignores the rules and such.

You don't need to be a lawyer, or the smartest guy/girl in th world to self-rep.
    But you do need to be very organised and somewhat eloquent in order to be able to present a valid arguement to the court.

So in short, it's a disadvantage to the average person.

Comment

I don't believe it changes anything for you. Some might say your chances of "winning" are higher with a lawyer, but I don't know this for sure.

Comment

My concern is that he is very good in fabricating and making himself believable. His greatest gift he used to say was that he was always "very convincing" and that he was a "great story teller".
        This is a man who continues to still emotionally put our daughter on an emotional roller coaster and myself included and is very unpredictable. hopefully the judge will see through him.
        Just very scary for me to know that he who is good at telling stories, might just get away because he's got the silver tongue.

Comment

You need evidence of wrongdoing. When appealing to a judge, stick to the facts. Do not degrade the other person. If you keep reverting to the actual facts, he will eventually get caught in his "storytelling". In my experience, people often overestimate their own abilities and it sounds like he may be doing just that. Be confident and prepared.

Ask for an assessment on your ex if you can show that he has lied to get out of situations in the past (must have proof, remember) and on the basis that he drags your daughter into his emotional turmoil.

Judges are very skilled at seeing human nature: give her/him the evidence to rule in your favour.

Comment

An Assessment ? meaning what sorry ?-
            I have evidence of him causing emotional harm (CAS even wrote it in a letter that they "investigated and the concerns of risk of emotional and physical harm were verified' in regards to our daughter.
            I am filing and hoping to get sole legal and physical custody of our daughter as I believe he makes very bad decisions, and even does not care for her dental and health needs.
            I am compiling my evidence and I do hope the judge does see through his glib exterior.
            Is getting sole legal custody hard to get ? What evidence do I need to show ? Or should that be another question posted ?

Comment

That's what you hired a lawyer for. Your ex's predictable failure to discern the relevant legal issues and apply them to the facts will give you an advantage since you have a lawyer who well knows all this. Judges weren't born yesterday.

Comment

Thanks everyone who answered my post. Yes, I feel a little better. I just want what's best for our child. Wishing that he will be kinder and less controlling is not going to make it happen.
                Emotional abuse sure leaves a lot of scars that's for sure, after all the physical ones have healed. I wonder does it ever end ?
                Thanks again to everyone who replied.
                God bless.

Comment

I wonder does it ever end ?
                  In 18 to 21 years, depending on the age of the child. You have a child together, you are tied to him to some extent until the child is of age.

Comment

good story teller or not - if he can not hold proof then really all he has is a story. Just remember that judges are schooled and trained to "read" people, their words, body language, etc.. if there isn't truth to his "stories" then it will come to light. ALSO he may say he self representing now, but then on day of he may show up with a lawyer. I am not sure how this is able to happen - but it did with my ex. He may also speak to Duty Counsel day of and they could come into the hearing with him. Don't even concern yourswelf with whether he or a lawyer will represent him... you hopefully have hired a lawyer looking out for your best interest and the judge hopefully will read through your ex and his dishonesty.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X