No announcement yet.

Treating Common Law like Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and I work full-time and take all the sick days for my kids, and unpaid days when we've had childcare issues. I take every PA day off for the kids. STBX - nothing, never. I took 13 unpaid days in 2015, as well as about 10 sick days, at least half of which were for the kids. So, someone has to make the sacrifice and it does affect work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
      Her career suffered because of a child he had nothing to do with creating, and would have suffered just the same, if not more, had they never met.

He has nothing to do with her career damage. He should not be required to compensate her for it.

If anything, he probably made life much better for her during the time they were together than she would have had on her own. But nobody expects her to compensate him.
      Common sense says you're correct; however, the fact that he acted in place of a parent (locus parentis) likely throws a horseshoe into your assessment. I'm not saying I disagree with you in principle, but the courts would likely treat my friend as if he were the biological father.

In regard to making her life better, wouldn't that be grounds to pay SS? Specifically, SS in order to continue with the life (or as close as feasible) that she's accustomed to? Again, I'm not saying I support this, but I'm trying to gauge how the family court would assess it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X