No announcement yet.

Jennifer Garner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still nothing to be gained by telling the kids her every sin. It doesn't help the kids in any way, and it really doesn't help you either. If you honestly believe you are completely blameless then you don't need anyone else's validation.

Show your kids you are a good person by your actions, which include not trashing other people, especially their mom.

If there are direct, unprompted questions when they are mature adults, you can give a brief statement like she made some poor decisions which were not acceptable to my standards and so we split. You do not have to go into the gory details.

Comment

If I was a teenager or a young adult and my father decided to tell me details of my mother's adulterous sex life, I wouldn't think "Now I understand! Of course my dad was right to leave her because she was a cheating whore! So happy he has cleared this up!". I would think "They're BOTH losers - her for cheating, him for trying to manipulate me into hating her". What happened in your marriage is between you and your ex - the kids deserve to be left out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
        If I was a teenager or a young adult and my father decided to tell me details of my mother's adulterous sex life, I wouldn't think "Now I understand! Of course my dad was right to leave her because she was a cheating whore! So happy he has cleared this up!". I would think "They're BOTH losers - her for cheating, him for trying to manipulate me into hating her". What happened in your marriage is between you and your ex - the kids deserve to be left out of it.

My siblings and I all know why my parents split. Even with all the crap my mother told us. We know her crazy added to it. What makes me really nuts is how they both still cant let it go. They make comments about the other, they play stupid poor me games, theyre just complete a-holes. As my one sister said "we get it, you dont like each other, stop making us dislike you more for pointing it out".

That said, I have told my partner he needs to tell his kids the truth when they're old enough in his situation. His ex has told them he left them, he chose to go away, he was the one to make the decision. She forgot to mention she had him dumped in a shelter after he was released from the hospital and he filed for divorce after living in his car because she wouldn't let him back in the house.

Comment

Frankly, I think it is unreasonable to not tell my kids in the future that I left my ex for cheating and explaining to them briefly that it was with a close family friend + her cousin via sexting from next to my daughter while she slept. Even today they have asked me many times to tell me the reason but I tell them it is "Adult stuff"

I agree I don't need to go into details but just to set the record straight and let my kids know that we didn't get divorced because of a stupid reason like "we argued" or something....

Also keep in mind, my ex is about to go on welfare (or god forbid get a job) she is going to rack up them pity points and I don't want anybody feeling sorry for her so I will be definitely conducting a defensive PR campaign with friends etc... explaining why she is on welfare (her own stupidity). I have noticed my kids are starting to feel sorry for her and she is guilting them into certain things... need to nip that in the bud. No mercy . In ten years, if I am really well off and she is in a homeless shelter I need to make sure my kids understand she did it to herself.

Also, while I am not blameless - I don't take much responsibility for the divorce which is hurting my kids immensely (the saddest thing in their lives no doubt....)... and I am sad they are hurting so much and its mostly due to my ex-wife's selfish stupidity...

Stripes, sounds like you cheated on your husband...
          Last edited by Links17; 03-02-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post

Stripes, sounds like you cheated on your husband...
            Um, no. The other way around, actually. And that is one of many issues Kid will never hear about from me.

(And to be honest, I don't really care about "setting the story straight" and making sure Kid knows who was the good guy and who was the bad guy, who has the halo and who has the little devil horns. She is smart, she will form her own opinions of her parents).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X