Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2017, 10:17 PM
denbigh denbigh is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 131
denbigh is on a distinguished road
Default how to change your name?

When you divorce, is it like when you marry and your name automatically changes and you dont need to fill out any government paperwork or no fee (at least that is the way it was when I married 20 years ago), or do you need to apply for a name change and pay a fee?
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:23 PM
arabian's Avatar
arabian arabian is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 10,051
arabian will become famous soon enough

When I married 30 years ago I would have had to have filled out a form to legally change my name to my husband's name. I did not do that. I maintained my maiden name. I used my married name for things such as son's school to keep things easier for teachers.

If you never legally changed your name, chances are you can simply revert to using your maiden name. Your bank will let you know. Perhaps check with Vital Statistics to see what your status is.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:33 PM
kate331 kate331 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 116
kate331 is on a distinguished road

What is your last name on your Birth Certificate? I believe that is your legal name. Then its just running around and changing other documents such as drivers license and passport, etc. if you used your married name for them. They may want to see paperwork, such as your marriage license and divorce papers.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to do? Served papers change 2 years after signed agreement SuzieSunshine Divorce & Family Law 26 05-31-2017 08:44 PM
material change re: custody vs material change re: access trinton Divorce & Family Law 2 01-18-2017 12:02 AM
Ex wants to change schools again LearningToFly Divorce & Family Law 15 12-03-2016 12:24 AM
Retroactive Motion to Change? Spoonz Divorce & Family Law 4 11-12-2010 11:34 PM
Need help with motion to change support Ihave2kidsIcannotsee Divorce & Family Law 1 03-19-2009 12:04 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.