Requesting Extension to submit "Answer" after application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting Extension to submit "Answer" after application

Hi everyone, I was served the papers by my Ex as the Applicant and so I am the respondent. I am about 5 days away from the deadline and I need to request an extension due to some extenuating circumstances, and the fact that I haven't been able to obtain my own counsel yet.
    I presume there is a process to request an extension, can anyone please advise what this is so that I can do so?

thanks!
    (i did search the forum but didn't see any answers to this question)

1. Send formal request for extension to other party (give deadline to respond)

2. If denied or no response, fill out a 14B (procedural motion just go ask FLIC at courthouse).... and get extension approved by a judge.

Find the form here under 14B. Print out the communication to the OP of you requesting an extension as an exhibit for the motion.

http://ontariocourtforms.on.ca/en/fa...w-rules-forms/
    Last edited by LovingFather32; 12-18-2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Thank you. I suppose that I need to both?
      Or could I just go with #2? If I go with #2, how much time may I expect? Given the holiday shut-down, this effectively closes things down for 2 weeks...

Thankss

Comment

Originally posted by ontdad1207 View Post
        Thank you. I suppose that I need to both?
        Or could I just go with #2? If I go with #2, how much time may I expect? Given the holiday shut-down, this effectively closes things down for 2 weeks...

Thankss
        ALWAYS consult OP first to see if they agree. (Be Mr. Reasonable). Mention that if they do not you will have to bring a procedural motion, taking time off work, etc ...that you will be seeking costs. Provide a good reason for the extension.

5 days is very short notice, so give the 24 hours to respond, and state that if they do not respond, you will take that as a denial.

In short, yes, do #1 and #2. I've done it.

Comment

Thank you! Finally, I imagine that I just hand-deliver the request to their office?

Comment

Naa ... shoot off an e-mail .consider getting www.readnotify.com to prove they opened and read it.

I'd be a boyscout and get your 14B ready though....doubt they'll accept it...in which case they may have costs ordered against them.

Comment

Many thanks - Great day!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X