This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equity in house on separation

HI, New to the forum but looking for help.

I was in a relationship with someone for 2 1/2 years, not making the common law cut of 3yrs. I am thinking that the laws apply for the same, and some advice can be had.

I had to leave the house with my two kids (from another relationship) for their well being, without getting to much into it. My ex and I both owned the house, having put different amounts into the down payment and the upgrades. The house has gone up in value since purchase and is worth approx 50k more. I put in approx 12k into the house to the down payment and upgrades, while she put 20k into the down payment and the kicker, she claims she put another 20k in to upgrades claiming she has proof.

So my question remains is that the house has gone up in value 50k, do I get a share of the equity after if she keeps the house. She says she doesnt have to pay me out as she put more into the house then me, wanting me to sign off on the house with nothing to show for the money and handyman work I put into the house.

I know its not a matrimonial home and we are not common law but hopefully some one has gone thru this and can give me some advice.

JessC
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X