Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equalization/Pension who does the calculations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equalization/Pension who does the calculations?

Has anyone had experience with dividing a portion of a federal pension to make up a shortfall for equalization ? Who did the calculations?

I have a detailed court order that explains interest, grossing up for taxes etc. but who actually applies all that to the calculations ? Do we pay someone to do it?

I don't know where you're located but in Ontario, the law changed in 2012. You used to have to hire an actuary to value the pension but now the pension plan administrator has the power to value the pension. They basically use the formula in the Pension Benefits Act. They should also be able to tell you how to make the pension transfer happen.

My only advice - Contact your pension plan administrator and go from there.

Or are you talking about the federal government CPP? There is some kit you can get with an application that will instruct the government to divide the pension and they do it for you once you apply.

Comment

We had an actuary value the pension.

What I am trying to find out is who does the calculations for the shortfall ? Part of the pension will cover the shortfall owed in equalization but the ex's lawyer is not agreeing to what is in the court order, I wondered if I need to keep paying my lawyer to argue it or do the pension administrators look at the court order and figure out the shortfall ?

Comment

How would a shortfall in equalization be:
        A) difficult to calculate?
        B) of any concern to the pension plan?

Example:

• Dad owes $300,000 in equalization
        • Value of pension is $400,000. By law, up to 50% of that can be transferred, so $200,000.
        • Pension plan gives $200,000 to the Mom. Pension plan is now out of the picture, they have done their duty.
        • Dad owes $100,000 to mom, so he pays her in cash or he needs to sell some assets to raise the $100,000 he needs.

I don't get the problem here.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X