Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thompson v. Fox (Post-secondary support)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thompson v. Fox (Post-secondary support)

Not an Ontario case, but still an interesting read of the judge's analysis with regards to support for post-secondary studies in this particular scenario:

CanLII - 2013 ABPC 113 (CanLII)

I'd really like to know how much it cost the Applicant to get that $3500 court ordered.

Comment

Naturally, the applicant was expecting to get a whole lot more than $3500 for pursuing the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by ;
        (74) a reasonable parental contribution for the child's first year of post‑secondary studies upon leaving high school is 50 percent. A reasonable progression, in my view, is a decrease to 40 percent in the second year; 33 percent in the third year; 25 percent in the fourth year and 25 percent in the fifth year. The parental contribution should be shared between both parents. This parental portion amounts to 37 percent of the costs averaged over the course of the first four years ‑ the typical time to obtain an undergraduate degree. The student should be responsible for the bearing the remainder of the expenses through savings, scholarships, loans, full‑time work over the course of the summer, and part‑time work over the course of the school year.
        This is a great case example for post-secondary expenses where the judge ordered both parents to share in the childs educational costs.

I have heard that 33% paid by the child and 66% paid and split proportionally between the parents is common, but here is a case law to back that "rule of common sense".

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X