This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing surname

I was all set to change my name back to my maiden name (hate that term), but today it was suggested to me that a divorce has to be final before one can change their name back. I believe it used to be that way. Does anyone know what the law is in Ontario? Thank you.

I just changed mine back - I still had my birth certificate with my maiden name on it, so it was easy peasy.

The only place I experienced even a minor hassle was one of the banks I deal with - their policy stated a b/c or seperation papers, the person at the desk asked for both, I read her the policy - emphasising the "OR" and it was changed no problem!

Comment

Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to going back to my former name - I feel rather uncomfortable using my married name anymore, although I likely will have to continue using it professionally for a while.

Comment

It is an awkward thing - changing your name always is!

I hated using my married name after we were seperated - and still hate saying it the odd time I have to now (places that hadn't changed it back yet)

You will get used to your maiden name again quickly, I wouldn't even worry about professionally - no one seems to bat an eye, regardless if the change is because of marriage or divorce, these days!

And maybe you will be like me, and make a firm decision now to not ever change your name again!!! :P

Good luck!

Comment

seekinganswers is correct... name changes are independent of divorce proceedings. In my experience, banks have been the most flexible in name variations.

Interestingly my ex wants to keep her married name even when it was a short term marriage and she herself has re-married. I assume she wants to retain the same last name as the child... but I still find it very weird....

Any ideas why she is doing that? To me, it would be very odd if I was remarried. I dare not ask her to change it to her maiden name or his name. I don't need the grief.

Comment

Originally posted by Decent Dad
            Interestingly my ex wants to keep her married name even when it was a short term marriage and she herself has re-married. I assume she wants to retain the same last name as the child... but I still find it very weird.... Any ideas why she is doing that? To me, it would be very odd if I was remarried. I dare not ask her to change it to her maiden name or his name. I don't need the grief.
            Hmmm... that's interesting. At first, I wanted to keep the name so that I have the same name as my daughter, but I don't think that is so important anymore. As for someone remarrying and keeping their first married name... kind of weird. I can't offer any insight into that one, unless she has a very public job and changing her name would cause much confusion. I'm thinkin, for example, a news anchor or politician.... someone in the public eye.

Comment

I think it is really weird. I could only wonder how the other guy must feel...

She is not a professional or anything. I can't see her doing it to annoy me... it just makes me scratch my head in puzzlement. And it's a little creepy.

Comment

perhaps she doesn't like her own maiden name or the new guys surname.

lv

Comment

leave it to LV to come up with probably the most sensible response of all ..my husbands first wife has kept my husbands last name and when my husband asked her why she didn't change it back she said she couldn't afford it I have changed my last name several times (for marriage reasons and then back to maiden name again) and have never once had to pay for a name change...my guess is that she is still not over him and this is the only remaining tie she can still have with him...sad but very very true

Comment

surname change

Hi Peggy,

When I was going through "the motions & turmoil" of course I wanted to change my name back. I went to courthouse and was advised by court officer that there is no need to change back something I just "borrowed". I didnt quite understnad so she explained. I was born "Smith" I will always remain a "Smith" just because I marry a "Russell" and assume their last name doesnt mean I become a "Russell", I am still a "Smith". As someone from the elder generation told me that my last name at birth is my birthright and because I marry and take on the spouses last name my birthrigth is not taken from me. It doesnt cost anything either to change it back........that goes back to birthright...........that was the best part no more $$$$ to get my life back to MY life..............hope this helps

Comment

Well folks, I did it. And it feels great. I'm saving the news for my father for Christmas - he'll be delighted!

Comment

Christmas Present

So what did your father say about the name change Peggy?

Comment

Originally posted by smadax
                          So what did your father say about the name change Peggy?
                          He was quite delighted.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X