This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No show in court?

What happens if the respondant doesn't show up for a case conference?

From the look of documents I received from my lawyer it would appear that she must have trouble getting in contact with him. She refiled the same response to my initial paperwork and it wasn't his signature at the bottom of the page.

Thanks!

mominont,

I'm not clear on what you mentioned,

From the look of documents I received from my lawyer it would appear that she must have trouble getting in contact with him. She refiled the same response to my initial paperwork and it wasn't his signature at the bottom of the page.
    Did the individual serve and file an Answer, and conference brief? If so, it would appear the issues are going ahead. If the individual does not show up for the case conference, but in lieu may have an agent or solicitor appear on their behalf the case conference may be adjourned to a date in the future.

lv

Comment

Yes the individual filed and served an answer to my original request for sole custody and supervised access. He wants joint with shared access, something I will never agree with due to mental health issues.

When he served his answer, he is also asking for spousal support.

I replied to his answer and also included a copy of the 911 call I had to make regarding him threatening suicide and a copy of CAS letter that they were involved in my life when he checked himself out of the hospital (psych ward) against medical advice.

He never really responded to those documents.

However I guess If the case conference gets postponed, then he can be responsible for my costs. He is represented through legal aid, I am paying for my lawyer.

Thanks!

Originally posted by logicalvelocity
      mominont,

I'm not clear on what you mentioned,

Did the individual serve and file an Answer, and conference brief? If so, it would appear the issues are going ahead. If the individual does not show up for the case conference, but in lieu may have an agent or solicitor appear on their behalf the case conference may be adjourned to a date in the future.

lv

Comment

mominont,

Case conferences get adjourned all the time. They have to notify you or your lawyer. If you disagree to an adjournment, this would be a contested adjournment. Regardless, it is very difficult to hold a successful case conference if one of the parties is not present. They may send an agent to explain the necessity for the requested adjournment.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X