Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No as I stated it is offered at point of employment...in year one.

It is offered throughout their career - as in it is not a one off "offer"

For example, if an employee takes advantage of it and takes sabbatical in the fifth year they can return and register back on the 4 over 5 year plan as soon as they return back to work starting off another term of 5 years.

Otherwise, I would have stated it is only offered after someone advances at a certain point in their career.

By the way, I appreciate the time you are spending on this thread.
    Last edited by Nadia; 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Makes sense... it is an interesting concept... one I have never heard of... I have search Canlii and have not found anything similar...I would really like to know the outcome of this, because this may be happening to many people, who don't even realize. I wonder if the company itself would offer more information regarding the plan? Not necessarily exactly what his plan is, but maybe just the details of the plan in a whole?

Comment

Will keep you posted.

Thank you for the questions - It has helped me figure out where I need to be more clearer and accurate with the information. Thanks Bernerfaith.

Comment

Thanks...will appreciate the updated information.
          Maybe down the road someone will find further information on this type of plan, which will help you in your quest!

Comment

da " plan" as far as I'm concerned sounds like hording. You can bundle it up with lots of fancy wording but it's simply a way to avoid paying.

Comment

da " plan" as far as I'm concerned sounds like hording. You can bundle it up with lots of fancy wording but it's simply a way to avoid paying.
              Not everyone makes their life decisions around dodging support payments.

If the company espouses this plan then there is, likely as not, some merit to it. Railing on that anything that reduces income in the slightest is heresy may lead to painting yourself into a corner.

Comment

Sabbatical year precendent

This sabbatical year is actually a common benefit for teachers. There is a precedent for this on CanLii: http://canlii.ca/t/1jc9g

They found that the father would pay CS based on 100% for the first four years and what happened for the fifth year would depend on what he did during his off year.

Comment

Thank you Learner, that was quite helpful!

Comment

Thank you Learner for sharing this! This is extreamly helpful.
                    Last edited by Nadia; 09-28-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know if an employee can withdraw from a 4 over 5 year plan after they have registered?

The opposing party in my case is having great difficulty in paying court ordered child support and his proportional contribution towards special section seven expenses. There are also outstanding cost orders he should be paying on a month to month basis but is not. However, he is having no difficulty in paying $2000 towards his 4 over 5 year plan every month.

He informs me that employees can not withdraw from the plan once registered and that he has "no choice" about the $2000 that is deducted from his pay every month before child support is deducted at 50 %.

I find that hard to believe. What happens in a situation where an employee registers on the plan and then a year later finds that their financial situation has changed to the extent that they can no longer afford to live on a reduced income and actually need access to their full income in order to make ends meet? Surely, there would be a an opportunity for the employee to withdraw from the plan.
                      Last edited by Nadia; 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know if an employee can withdraw from a 4 over 5 year plan after they have registered?
                        Contact the company or request disclosure. There are no universal rules for how companies are forced to remunerate their employees.

Comment

Request for disclosure has been made and served in line with rules. But opposing party has refused to respond to the request in writing and when pushed orally, gave me the answer above.

I have also contacted Human Resources at said company but they will not share details of the plan unless I am an employee.

Can I serve a copy of the Request for Disclosure on the "company" in the off chance they might respond?
                          Last edited by Nadia; 02-09-2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X