Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Private Member’s Bill C-422 - Equal parenting (Mr. Velacott)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know....we need events, rallies, etc. that can bring bills and legislation into focus and into the media eye. More awareness means a bigger louder voice.

I once was a musician who used to perform at such "fund raiser", or "awareness" -type gigs... I can tell you that at the grassroots level, they are not *that hard* to arrange and with things like facebook, youtube and twitter...promotion has never been easier.

Anyone else agree? You pick the location, I'll bring the sound system.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRespondant View Post
      You know....we need events, rallies, etc. that can bring bills and legislation into focus and into the media eye. More awareness means a bigger louder voice.

I once was a musician who used to perform at such "fund raiser", or "awareness" -type gigs... I can tell you that at the grassroots level, they are not *that hard* to arrange and with things like facebook, youtube and twitter...promotion has never been easier.

Anyone else agree? You pick the location, I'll bring the sound system.
      I agree whole heartedly. ..I am a union rep..I have been and have helped organized rallies such as non violent direct action, civil disobedience, information pickets and so on.

There are a few things needed...first and foremost is Solidarity....the next thing is Solidarity and the third thing is Solidarity!

I am not sure if we have that? I want to believe we do. I too would not only participate I would help organize and offer any service that I am able.

We need to start with simple meetings....start a committee of sorts...a speaker.....a leader...it doesn't take much to start...we just need to start!

To tell you the truth I am at the point that I am going to stick a sign on my back and start picketing the court house....we fathers need to do it for us.

Comment

In support of C422

An old friend of mine used to say "one hand won't clap"....

But it sounds like I've heard the sound of the first clap.

What is Mr. Vellacott's schedule like over the next 9 months, I wonder?
        Is he accessible? What about Dave Nash? He certainly had the right idea with his earlier campaign. Would they speak at a rally? Would they record a video / audio address?

Could we throw a family-oriented "party" with some music / activities in a park or something (complete with face-painting and pony rides) with a C-422 vibe plastered all over it?

..Just thinking out loud.

Comment

The next step is to to get the message out to everyone. Though this is a start I beleive the thread is too old to get the attention that is needed.

I will go back to my earlier comment, that we need to start by having simple meetings..like at a Tim Horton's. I am thinking that we could start them in the maJor cities...for instance in Ontario...... Ottawa, Gta (might need a few different locations), Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge, Hamilton/Stoney Creek, Niagra Falls,London, Windsor, Northern cities or towns and as well as more eastern and so on.

I think to properly do it, a map and a list of areas should be made then figure out where the local Tim's in that are is and start getting the message out that meetings will be held on certain nights or weekends...my thinking is nights through the week would be better as most dads have their children every second and would be a 50/50 that some dads whom might want to go...won't want to give up time on thier one weekend that they get with their children.

This is doable....and i think that maybe a thread should be started to see would go to such meetings and their general areas....then set time/date and location(s)....lets go!

Comment

Originally posted by LostFather View Post
            This is doable....and i think that maybe a thread should be started to see would go to such meetings and their general areas....then set time/date and location(s)....lets go!
            With your union background and your passion for the project you would seem to be a good choice to champion this cause. Start the thread!!

I think there are around 3,000 Tim Horton's locations in Canada. You better get cracking.

Comment

Way back when, I had court ordered supervised access at the McDonalds in our area...I wasn't alone and there were allot more families there. We all like our Timmies but....might want to give it some thought; at least the outreach aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by InterprovincialParents View Post
                updates...

The bill is due for second reading in Fall, 2011. However, that only occurs if there is no election first. And if you are in the NCR, you know the word on that...
                So where would Bill-422 go/stand with the spring election coming up? Killed? re-start again?

Comment

We probably need a website, with a list of people and what town they are from. Then we can start to organize. Even a facebook group or something. Why meet at Tim Hortons, we could meet in front of the court house one evening a week during the warmer months, get Coffee to go lol.

I would be more than happy to try and get people together in the Barrie area, or attend something in the Toronto area if my schedule allows.

Comment

Originally posted by fireweb13 View Post
                    We probably need a website, with a list of people and what town they are from. Then we can start to organize. Even a facebook group or something. Why meet at Tim Hortons, we could meet in front of the court house one evening a week during the warmer months, get Coffee to go lol.

I would be more than happy to try and get people together in the Barrie area, or attend something in the Toronto area if my schedule allows.
                    The thing is....we need to start somewhere and timmies or wherever is something. I am all for standing out in front of the courthouse...giddy up! lets go. But first we need to get together....face to face and start talking about the best approaches. If we start going to the courthouse unorganized and with the with different messages we will or could get the wrong attention or the wrong messages to the public.

Originally posted by SillyMe View Post
                    Way back when, I had court ordered supervised access at the McDonalds in our area...I wasn't alone and there were allot more families there. We all like our Timmies but....might want to give it some thought; at least the outreach aspect.
                    You're right...and also makes me sad that dads have been reduced to mcdonalds to see their children...things are.getting better but its going to take more of a push to get our message heard.
                    Last edited by Mess; 07-28-2012, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Well where is everyone from? I am game for meeting up as long as its not to far from me, just let me know when and where or I can organize it in my area ( Barrie). We should make pamphlets for this Bill so that we can hand it out at courts to start making people know about it.

Comment

So election coming....
                        My vote for thous who will bring that bill back to life?

Who that will be?

Comment

That would require you talking to your local MP candidates NOW and finding out who's willing to back it (though realistically, none of them will have heard of it, and will be too election-crazed right now to look at it). Doubtful that you would be able to get any info on the MP's standing on family law issues from the door-to-door lackeys.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
                            So election coming....
                            My vote for thous who will bring that bill back to life?

Who that will be?
                            N D P

if there is any chance...

Comment

How can breastfeeding increase child support? Child support is based on payor's income. Has nothing to do with breastfeeding. :-?

Comment

Yea
                                I am for NDP too
                                and looks like not only for bill 422 but a number of other things ....
                                will be my first vote in Canada )

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X