Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical expenses

Two questions:

1. How far back can medical expenses be claimed?

2. If you don't agree with a medical expense (ie therapy by an unlicensed "medical" practitioner that your benefits won't cover), do you have to agree to pay it?

My partners ex sent a list of medical expenses from the last three years that she wants reimbursement for. Not only did he not know about these expenses but some of them he never agreed to.

I would hazard a guess that expenses for the previous 12 months would be acceptable for review. Prior to that I would not consider any of them unless ordered to do so by the court. If your husband's ex files her income taxes in a timely manner then she should be able to provide medical expenses in a timely manner. I believe that there might even be some case law about this on CanLii and worth your while to do a brief search. Submitting a slew of bills, 3 years later, could be construed as creating financial hardship could it not?

Comment

Thats what I thought. Shes been sitting on these for how long? I wont even get started on the fact that there are NO receipts with this statement of expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
        Thats what I thought. Shes been sitting on these for how long? I wont even get started on the fact that there are NO receipts with this statement of expenses.
        My ex's g/f used to compile a whole thick wad of so-called business expenses for my ex (to try to reduce his income for SS). I used to laugh when I received them... particularly the ones with her husband's name on them (expenses from his business)....

I would think that you would only have to pay the current ones unless she can offer a valid explanation why they were not submitted beforehand? (I wouldn't open the dialogue by asking her this but if she kicks up a fuss you could then say you need a line-by-line detailed explanation to present to your accountant).

Comment

Hes convinced she was going to use these against money she owed him and was told by a lawyer she had to pay him. Now shes trying to claw back expenses shes been sitting on. Added to that, she never discussed non necessary medical expenses shes claiming. AND some of these expenses are "elective" because shes worried about their self esteem. Cosmetic expenses neither benefits cover should not be considered in my opinion.

Comment

How she deals with perception of low self-esteem (herself or children) when kids are with her is her problem one would think. Same as when his daughters are around their father. Different parenting styles...

Ignore and/or tell her to submit a separate claim - one claim does not trump the other.

Comment

Why would you pay anything without a receipt?

To me the decision tree looks like this:

1) Is there a receipt?
              YES: go to step 2
              NO: will not pay

2) Was consent received beforehand?
              YES: pay
              NO: go to step 3

3) If consent had been asked beforehand properly, would it have been given?
              YES: go to step 4
              NO: will not pay

4) Is there a pattern of not asking for consent?
              YES: will not pay
              NO: pay

No receipt results in a "will not pay" decision immediately, we don't even get a chance to ask the other questions.

Comment

I think the ex has presented receipts. However, the question is whether these are payable as no permission for the expense was previously sought or granted.

Comment

No she didnt provide receipts. She provided a statement of claims from the insurance provider.

My main question was how far back is reasonable. Shes been sitting on these for three years and dumped them on him now. Hes waiting on a response from his insurance on how long he has to submit for his benefits to cover. Their agreement says receipts will be submitted promptly to the insurer.

Comment

No she didnt provide receipts. She provided a statement of claims from the insurance provider.

My main question was how far back is reasonable. Shes been sitting on these for three years and dumped them on him now. Hes waiting on a response from his insurance on how long he has to submit for his benefits to cover. Their agreement says receipts will be submitted promptly to the insurer.
                    1. Give her the information to the insurance that your partner has.
                    2. Provide her with the forms from the insurance provider and all other information.
                    3. Make her submit them.

These should have been submitted to BOTH insurance providers. Also, you can put the children on your insurance (if you have it) too. That way the cost for any of this should be 0$.

It was her mistake that resulted in the expenses. Also, if they don't cross $150 a year then they are not S7 anyways. I can't see how someone with supplemental insurance could have racked up more than $150 in deductibles.

Remember these are potentially S7 expenses and would be split to the proportion of income between both parents.

Good Luck!
                    Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
                      1. Give her the information to the insurance that your partner has.

2. Provide her with the forms from the insurance provider and all other information.

3. Make her submit them.

These should have been submitted to BOTH insurance providers. Also, you can put the children on your insurance (if you have it) too. That way the cost for any of this should be 0$.

It was her mistake that resulted in the expenses. Also, if they don't cross $150 a year then they are not S7 anyways. I can't see how someone with supplemental insurance could have racked up more than $150 in deductibles.

Remember these are potentially S7 expenses and would be split to the proportion of income between both parents.

Good Luck!

Tayken

Kids got "elective" medical care plus thousands in treatment he didn't agree to. Thats how she went over $150.

He gave her all the information well over a year ago. He told her twice after that she could simply provide his benefits info to the service provider and get it covered at the source. Shes been sitting on them for whatever reason (we think because she wanted to offset the money she owed him) and is now telling him she has all these expenses and they have to calculate them. (Its almost ridiculous how she has ignored him for four years and suddenly after she had to pay the money, all these expenses appeared!)

He's now trying to find out if his benefits have a limitation on the time to submit. She waited three years and his benefits may not even cover the bulk of last years expenses let alone the previous years!

The highest expense is therapy which he has had no clue of and does not agree with. I wont get into his reasons. She hasn't discussed with him, hasn't said what its for, hasn't provided a physician referral etc. just "I paid $4000 you owe me."

I will put them on mine, last year I had no coverage so its moot for these expenses.

Comment

Medical expenses

My partners ex has now sent him a request to fund therapy. He's already told her twice he doesn't agree. Kid has told him AGAIN no to any relationship because of mothers alienation. Therapy is obviously not working to support this. Ex put kid in therapy without his knowledge or input several years ago and now is demanding he pay a portion. Nothing in their agreement says he has to agree. Should he ignore?

ETA: she provided no details on why, how, where, when etc.

Comment

In thinly related news, Trump thinks that Mexico is going to pay for a border wall.

I anticipate that his success in that endeavor will match the success of your partner's ex.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X