Legal aid and ex awarded costs in exceeds of 11k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal aid and ex awarded costs in exceeds of 11k

Ex used legal aid and the bill ran to 11k.
    She was awarded costs on this ,I was self repped.
    I am on pension ,she got a split and ongoing spousal support.
    I still have both my kids living with me full time while in college ,no cs ,ongoing basis from judge .
    Just received a bill saying I owe them 11 k and they want a payment .
    Literally don't have any money ,is this insane .
    What do you do when you just don't have the money and plus I owe her 7 k in equalization ,which I don't have .
    Literally banging my head on the walls and giving up .

maintenance enforcement agencies can and will garnishee up to 50% of your pension (CPP & OAS) as well as all sorts of other nasty collection. You might have to get a job and/or make an arrangement with FRO/MEP.

Comment

Even though she is getting half my pension now ,they can garnishee my half to the point that my kids won't have a house to live in .
      I find that hard to believe .no offence on your advice .

Comment

Well your kids may have to get jobs and contribute to the household - I believe they are over 20 correct?

You will likely be looking at a major lifestyle change (disposing of home and moving to a much smaller, more affordable, place).

My advice to you is to reduce your standard of living immediately. Perhaps a paying room mate?

Comment

Originally posted by lplp View Post
          Even though she is getting half my pension now ,they can garnishee my half to the point that my kids won't have a house to live in .
          I find that hard to believe .no offence on your advice .

Once she gets half your pension it is no longer yours... that's all equalization. You have a costs award against you, you don't have a choice but to pay it, unless you can argue the judge made a mistake and have it overturned but that's unlikely. If she files with FRO/MEP they won't care that you have to live in a basement apartment... they are there to enforce a court order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think we're talking about 2 different pensions perhaps? You have a work pension and CPP/OAS. Presumably your ex gets 1/2 of your work pension correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Yes she gets my work pension plus spousal support,i dont get child suport paid to me ,not sure why judge didnt put that into it ,
              I received papers from the legal aid after i emailed them saying i am claiming financial hardship,they want my bank statements,income tax and they will deicide,this blows me away how you can get legal aid and run up a tab for no reason in that excess ,and make the parent that is looking after the kids pay,knowing that the judge new my circumastances,too much power .

Comment

Originally posted by lplp View Post
                Yes she gets my work pension plus spousal support,i dont get child suport paid to me ,not sure why judge didnt put that into it ,
                I received papers from the legal aid after i emailed them saying i am claiming financial hardship,they want my bank statements,income tax and they will deicide,this blows me away how you can get legal aid and run up a tab for no reason in that excess ,and make the parent that is looking after the kids pay,knowing that the judge new my circumastances,too much power .
                give them what they want and see if you can work with them. Do not get all emotional with them about it. They really dont care about you not getting CS etc, all they care about is recovering some of the money that was paid out. Who knows they may be willing to accept a lesser amount with reasonable payments.

I am not sure if you could claim bankruptcy to get the cost award wiped out. Maybe something to look into but only as a last resort.

Comment

I cant claim bankruptcy,as i own my house,trying to work with them but just find it rude ,i do only live on my pension which is not much now,i can afford my mortgage and pay bills but that is it, i have 2 options ,one to sell house and go nowhere and the kids have no place to live either or see about a equity loan which i am finding out about ,not good credit after this divorce ,and during.

Comment

maybe its time to sell the house and rent an apartment somewhere or ask your kid to help out with the bills. They can go to college and work part time, lots of kid do it and in fact some work full time and go to school on top of it.

you said you couldn't work due to a back injury so I am sure that even the normal property maintenance must be harder for you. Easier on your health and pocket to downsize. You may have to move to another area where the rent is cheaper.

You have many options, it all depends on how desperate you are.

Comment

I'm under the impression that a claim for financial hardship is a difficult claim to make.

In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a poster here be successful in such a claim - anyone?
                      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Your ex should be paying child support. You should ask for it.

Comment

Completely shameful....I feel so sorry for your situation your in. Divorce for men in Canada is a death sentence....the Laws favor the women's position 98% of the time. Not much we as men can do about that. Its the law.

The advise you received has not been much help either...keep in mind the advice mostly came from women that have already taken advantage of the law to live off the income of someone else's hard-work. They are entitled...the law does imply every divorced women is entitled to a salve that earns them a life time of money. Imagine if the charter of rights said "every individual is legally responsible to take care of themselves financially, including their share of the children....before, during and after marriage....." wow what a different and fair world we would live in today.

I would take the advice of the CS. YOU ARE ENTITLED!! Law does state CS MUST be paid by 1 of the parents.....Shame on the judge to protect the woman again...surprise Go for child support and back date.

The legal aid was a shock for me though. Again maybe its because I was raised that everyone takes care of themselves....but in Canada the man is the slave of the woman thus must pay for legal expenses, even at 100%, for a woman that no longer has a relation to him? The country is FXXXXX!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newfie76 View Post
                            Completely shameful....I feel so sorry for your situation your in. Divorce for men in Canada is a death sentence....the Laws favor the women's position 98% of the time. Not much we as men can do about that. Its the law.

The advise you received has not been much help either...keep in mind the advice mostly came from women that have already taken advantage of the law to live off the income of someone else's hard-work. They are entitled...the law does imply every divorced women is entitled to a salve that earns them a life time of money. Imagine if the charter of rights said "every individual is legally responsible to take care of themselves financially, including their share of the children....before, during and after marriage....." wow what a different and fair world we would live in today.

I would take the advice of the CS. YOU ARE ENTITLED!! Law does state CS MUST be paid by 1 of the parents.....Shame on the judge to protect the woman again...surprise Go for child support and back date.

The legal aid was a shock for me though. Again maybe its because I was raised that everyone takes care of themselves....but in Canada the man is the slave of the woman thus must pay for legal expenses, even at 100%, for a woman that no longer has a relation to him? The country is FXXXXX!!

You pay today for the good times of yesterday. You knowingly agreed to a relationship where your ex was not working outside of the home. You are your own worst enemy. Blaming "the country" for something you intentionally agreed to in your past is lame IMO.

Yes, if the poster is entitled to child support then he should pursue it. Better to be proactive than nonactive and whine.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                              You pay today for the good times of yesterday. You knowingly agreed to a relationship where your ex was not working outside of the home. You are your own worst enemy. Blaming "the country" for something you intentionally agreed to in your past is lame IMO.
                              LOL Really? You got it half right...I pay today, yes that's right. But I also paid yesterday as well. The entire time I was with my ex I paid....I paid when she quit her work because she was pregnant....I paid every time she went to the mall, every time she traveled down south, every time her back hurt from doing nothing, every time she was bored, every time I took parental leave in hopes she would find work or go to school..every time she saw the snow fall.. oh I paid. And because I made one simple mistake and fell in love....she is allowed to live life not worrying that her boss is pleased of her quality of work, or that the car will start to get her to work, or where her next cheque will come from....no she hit the lottery....just like every women that receives SS or CS. Yes even CS!!

If the law were fair...and every one were responsible for their own well being before, during and after marriage....it would be the woman paying the man for every day they lived stress free from the daily grind of everyday life during the marriage. What a life!

Blaming the country for something I agreed to? NOPE! Never agreed to take care a woman that cheated on me multiple times. Nope! Never agreed to being a financial slave to a woman that hit me over and over, once cutting my head with a breaking plate. Nope. I never agreed to the mental torture of being yelled at each day. Nope. I never agreed to the life time of struggling to pay over half my income to this same women. Nope.

When your young, in love and you see what a wonderful life your parents had married....you get married....and have kids....never would someone think of divorce when they are in love. That argument feminists make is weak and lame...."you agreed to it"...Nope.

Its only eye opening for men when Canadian law opens it for them. Its too late by then. Hence, why over 60,000 men in Canada have already jumped to MGTOW..."take care yourself and NOT the woman".

What is lame is taking money from someone that actually earned it, went to school prior to marriage, earned an education that led to a successful career and was at the height of his career when first married. IMO....there is no excuses...just cold hearted, LAZY, opportunists that crave the security of being taken care of. And they use the law to their advantage. Shameful. Less than 3% of CS/SS entitled men take any payment from their ex. 3%!!!! Why is that? Think about that fact long and hard!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X