X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amending Application

Court today was..... useless...
    But on another note; how do I go about amending my custody/child support application - meaning to I add information on the one that was originally filed, or do I complete a new one all together and add that to the continuing record?
    Also, after doing that, and adding it to the continuing record, along with bringing a notice of motion, am I able to now serve his lawyer via fax or mail & request that he confirm whether he was accepting the service on his client's behalf?
    Any help would greatly be appreciated as I need to do this A.S.A.P. as the next court date is now Sept 16th.

Thanks!

You know, I just sat & read all the things that I would have to do very quickly in order to even get the courts to do a thing towards determining child support for my kids.
    Today they gave the adjournment and the next court date is September 16th. I have to travel 35 mins to the one court for nothing, they just hear the case & obviously make no decisions, but in order to add anything to the continuing record or to serve documents, I have to travel more than an hour to the family court where the records are kept.
    This means a trip there to file the motion and amend the original application, then I have to manage to serve his lawyer with all the required documents, and then travel the more than an hour drive again to do the affidavit of service and add it to the continuing record. But somewhere in there I have to make/pay for having copies made, plus I need to work so I can pay the bills & feed the kids!
    This is so pointless. I now understand why many parents go without ever getting child support for their children.
    This just can't be done.
    I think I officially give up.

Comment

I think lawyer can be served by fax and fax confirmation at the end of transmission will be your proof. Or, you can expresspost the documents to them and your receipt with tracking number is sufficient proof of service. I am not sure if the courts accept the faxes but you can check with them on the phone about it.

I am not sure if you can amend your application without getting court order or other party's consent to do so - i.e. if other party has already filed their answer.

Comment

I was in court today and I was told I could amend the application because they had not done a thing besides ask for an adjournment. No answer, no financial. He waited until the 21st to find a lawyer, the lawyer sent his letter out to me and then promptly went on vacation only returning some time yesterday.
        He has only talked to my ex the once, he has not met him, nothing.
        I'm feeling pretty annoyed that there is just not enough information out there to begin with so a person is forced to miss precious time from work at a loss of pay when it causes a severe hardship because the courts make you run around like an idiot just to get what the law says is the right of the children - child support.
        If the system really gave a damn about the rights of the children, they would make things more accessible to people as well as having things together in one location rather than in 2 completely different places that are an hour apart.
        It's a big steaming pile of rhinoceros excrement in my opinion.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X