This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a marriage that never existed

hi, i am a 20 year old woman who married aman who did not holda ny canadian status 4 months ago....this marriage was NOT fer immigration purposes at least not from my end.at the time of our wedding we decided not to live together and slowly break the news to our families ...3 weeks after we got married he left to go back home to visit his mother since then i haveheard from him only a few timed last being october 19....i donno why he is not contacting me i talk to his vbrother who llives here a dask him why he wont call me ahe dusnt reply but i know that he remains in touch with my husband...we have not even consummated our marriage as he wanted things to be done slightly tradional and that we involve in physical relations after we have our wedding acknowledged by our families.. to be honest i have given up the hope that he will ever try to act liek a husband
    i spoke to the police nad they said that i can try fer an anullment because clearly this wasnta real marriage and that he might have done it fer immigration
    i donno i f i can get a n anullment..i wanna forget about this.to geta divorce i d have to wiat at least ayear and i dont wanna do that i wnat this odne and over with me and him neevr lived together we never had physical relations
    Would it be possibleto get an anullment
    id appreciate any help or informationi n thsi regard
    thanks
    bye

It is a popular myth that never having a sexual relationship with your spouse is a ground for annulment. Non-consummation is a ground for annulment but the reason for the failure to have intercourse must arise from a physical or mental defect. In other words, the person has to be incapable of having sex. It is not enough that the parties decided not to have sex with each other.

Also, there have been recent court decisions that have clearly stated that if you marry in order to facilitate someone getting landed immigrant status, the court will not sanction that kind of behaviour by granting an annulment.

Annulments are granted most often when one or both of the parties lacked the legal capacity to marry, for example, they were underage or one of the parties was already married at the time of the wedding.

Best to wait out the one year separation period. I know it seems so unfair in your circumstances.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X