This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car?

So I wrote off my 2011 Mazda 3 on Sunday night.

I'm fine and the kids were with their mother so they were not involved.

I liked the car but their really was not enough room for the kids in the back seat so I'm not going to buy the same vehicle.

I have full replacement value on my insurance so I'll be getting hopefully around 30K for it.

Anybody buy a new car lately, what did you get, and how is it with younger kids.

Thanks

FB...I'm really glad you're ok!

(By the way, I'm not going to give you car recommendations because I'm biased...I work for one of the domestic OEMs)

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
      FB...I'm really glad you're ok!

(By the way, I'm not going to give you car recommendations because I'm biased...I work for one of the domestic OEMs)
      I am biased because my company works with car companies and dealers. But that wouldn't stop me recommending one of the manufacturers we don't deal with.

30 K seems like a very pricey Mazda 3. If you liked the car, and just want more room, the CX 5 looks good.

Comment

30 K seems like a very pricey Mazda 3. If you liked the car, and just want more room, the CX 5 looks good
        I had a CX7 two cars ago. It was a great vehicle except it had a turbo engine, took premium gas and wasn't very fuel efficient.

Comment

Feel the power of Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
            I had a CX7 two cars ago. It was a great vehicle except it had a turbo engine, took premium gas and wasn't very fuel efficient.
            CX5 is a different beast altogether, much smaller, and very very fuel efficient. It uses the Skyactiv technology.

Comment

I have a 2003 Subaru Impreza (AWD, manual transmission). It's not a car to wow and dazzle onlookers as you flash by, but it has been awesome. Minimal repairs (in ten years: one radiator replacement, one clutch replacement, one passenger door replacement as a result of parking lot hit & run); excellent in crappy winter, has never left me on the side of the road, and sustained a major icy-road skid and crash into a concrete median, with no injuries whatsoever beyond a bruised knee (insurance adjustor couldn't believe it: said "that's the kind of accident where people die", and announced her intention to buy an Impreza). When this one's time comes, I'm buying another.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                FB_

I can tell you this though, try to stay away from the domestic brands especially GM (you get what you pay for), and once you decide on a choice, get a carcostcanada report and take that to the dealership, as what you are looking to pay for the interested car.

Suggestions: Subaru, Toyota, Honda, Passat / Jetta
                I don't have the same feeling about GM. Their small cars are getting much much better.

As for carcost, up to you if you want to spend the money. What you won't know about is the incentives that manufacturers give to dealers, they don't show up and they can vary. Some dealers qualify for incentives based on volume, sometimes based on volume of a particular model, so it can be complicated.

I think once you have landed on a vehicle, try asking three dealerships for a best price written quote, and tell them the lowest wins. That usually gets them to sharpen their pencils.

Comment

I'd guess your insurance company will offer you under 12K for the car. Get ready to haggle!! The most efficient tactic in my experience seems to be to ask for access to your car ... so you can get your own appraisal. That chops off their absurd claims based on ghost comparables.

Ah ... but on further investigating I see for new vehicles, there is a full replacement value option meaning 'no depreciation will be applied for 24 months'.
                  Last edited by dinkyface; 09-13-2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                    I'd guess your insurance company will offer you under 12K for the car. Get ready to haggle!! The most efficient tactic in my experience seems to be to ask for access to your car ... so you can get your own appraisal. That chops off their absurd claims based on ghost comparables.
                    That would be hard to do if he has replacement value, those things are usually nailed down to a black book number on depreciation. It should be roughly what he would pay for the same car in good condition on a dealer's lot.

Comment

Originally posted by RLS View Post
                      Feel the power of Honda
                      Hold On, Not Done Accelerating Yet?

<just kidding>

Comment

What was your WRT STi experience like? Had a co-worker buy one and had major issues, where other friends have found their Outbakcs and Foresters to be more relable than normal.

Comment

I got a c-class 2013 sports edition 300 for 515/month tax in, winter tires, 4 year lease, 24k km/yr limit.

I use redflagdeals actually for buying stuff.... carcost, consumer reports, APA, carcomplaints are all useful too.

Comment

I love my Mazda 5 GT. Similar to the Mazda 3 in many ways, but can pop up an extra row of seating like a mini-van. Can also put down all the seats like a station wagon to move shit. We often have three kids with three car seats so the extra seating is used very regularly.

It's nicer looking than a real mini-van and cheaper on gas, but has many of the same features. Mine's even got some leather trim and a moon roof.

Repairs have been average... mostly electrical problems. Mostly you have to be careful of rust with Mazda.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForFamily View Post
                              Mostly you have to be careful of rust with Mazda.
                              I can second that, my Mazda MPV minivan was great but rusted out before its time. And you could see all of them had issues in exactly the same spots.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X