Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Case Conference... Settlement Conference... What's Next?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case Conference... Settlement Conference... What's Next?

I'm just wondering... what comes after a Settlement Conference?

So far, we have had a Case Conference (w/Temp Order) and a Settlement Conference (w/New Temp Order). The issues are still unresolved and being disputed.

What's next?

What are our options?

I've heard of a "Trial Management Conference" and "Uncontensted Trial" amongst many other such terms, but I'm not sure what to request from the Court as the next course of action.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

if you've had both case conference and settlement conference, the next stage is usually a trial management conference - where the presumption is that the case is heading towards a trial. At this time, it is still possible to come up with a resolution, to prevent a costly trial. If possible, ask the court if you can have another settlement conference to resolve the outstanding issues...

/Punda

Comment

Thanks Punda. I actually just got off the phone with the trial coordinator. She told me that it's possible to have a second settlement conference, instead of a trial management conference, to avoid having to go to trial. After speaking with my husband, that is the way we want to go. We don't particularly want to go to trial unless we absolutely have to. And we're hopefully that if we get a different judge than the last 3 appearances, we'll have somewhat of a chance of having a fair ruling.

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by #1StepMom View Post
        Thanks Punda. I actually just got off the phone with the trial coordinator. She told me that it's possible to have a second settlement conference, instead of a trial management conference, to avoid having to go to trial. After speaking with my husband, that is the way we want to go. We don't particularly want to go to trial unless we absolutely have to. And we're hopefully that if we get a different judge than the last 3 appearances, we'll have somewhat of a chance of having a fair ruling.

Thank you for your reply.
        I had three settlement conferences...all with the same judge though. However, I feel that having the same judge helped. After the first one, she really didn't care to listen to the smoke & mirrors show highlighting events from a year prior...she was just concerned with what had happened between then and the previous conference. They really do try to avoid sending it to a costly trial if possible.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X