Matrimonial debt and credit cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrimonial debt and credit cards

Asking on behalf of a friend (I think I know the answer but want to confirm):

She's initiating a divorce. He's moved out but forgot to get his mail forwarded. She's getting credit card statements for 10 cards in his name that she didn't know existed. She opened them (and yes, I know you're not supposed to open other people's mail) and found roughly $100K in credit card debt, all cards almost maxed out, current finance charges roughly $6K/month. She didn't recognize any of the recent purchases (mainly alcohol and restaurant meals). STBX says this is marital debt and she's half responsible, she says no it isn't because the cards were in his name, paid out of his bank account without her knowledge, and none of the purchases benefited the household (as far as she can tell).

So is this debt she will have to share?

I think your friend is living in another reality.

If someone racks up 100k in restaurant/entertainment I find it 'fantastic' to say the other didn't know about it, particularly if the two were living together. Over what time period did the "binging" occur?

This is likely matrimonial debt (can be in either person's name) if debt accumulated during the period of the marriage IMO.

also... if the credit card bills were coming to the matrimonial home all along, it's pretty lame to try to say you didn't know the debt existed. Does your friend think these credit card companies simply mailed out blank statements for shits and giggles?
    Last edited by arabian; 03-18-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Offhand, I would say that debt incurred during marriage is pretty much automagically marital debt. I have seen exceptions for gambling debts, but not much else. I don't think alcohol and restaurants are a special case that would somehow cause the debt to be excluded.

I am assuming that this debt occurred before separation. If the debt occurred after separation it is of course just personal debt.

Comment

Also: Your friend lost a good chance to be sneaky. I would have let him fill out his financial disclosure, sign it, and then provide evidence that he was lying. The credibility hit would have been priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
          Also: Your friend lost a good chance to be sneaky. I would have let him fill out his financial disclosure, sign it, and then provide evidence that he was lying. The credibility hit would have been priceless.
          Initially I was thinking the same thing but I think this may be more of a case of a couple living beyond their means.... blame game.

Comment

I know someone whose ex did this. Took out cards and maxed them out to furnish her new life. It was marital debt and they went bankrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
              I know someone whose ex did this. Took out cards and maxed them out to furnish her new life. It was marital debt and they went bankrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I'm sure it happens frequently^especially if bills are sent by email. However, to pretend to not know about "10" cards if bills were coming to the home all along? Even the standard of living would/should alert someone. I can assure you that I would have noticed if my ex racked up 100k in restaurant/booze.

Comment

Friend's STBX has big addiction problems and she assumes most of the debt is related to that (alcohol plus lots of cash advances). The statements came to the house but STBX always got them before she saw them (I'm getting all this from her, of course - it may or may not be completely true). (And the $100K is just the outstanding balance - who knows how much he charged on the cards and then paid off?).

They also had an arrangement whereby he paid the mortgage (house in both their names) and she paid the other households bills (taxes, utilities etc) and they reconciled at the end of each year. She got a call from the bank saying that the mortgage hadn't been paid in full for several months. So her credit rating is in trouble, and she has to take on paying the mortgage in full herself, at least until they manage to sell the house, at the same time as lawyer bills. It's your basic financial disaster.

I too think it would be hard to miss if my spouse was living so far beyond his/our means, but denial seems to be very powerful. She was in denial about his addictions for years until the evidence could no longer be explained away.

I guess the takeaway is to always keep your own finances separate and don't let your partner pick up the mail every day. Sad.

Comment

I know people where the husband (high-income earner) put around 100k up his nose in under a 2-year period. He ended up going to one of those expensive rehab places in the US for 6 months and joining NA. When he quit buying the coke his supplier wasn't happy and their house subsequently was broken into while she was home. (Wife was in denial about addiction and this was a big wake-up call to her). A very scary time for her. Interestingly, this couple stayed together. It took her going back to work (after a 15 year absence) to help pay down the debt and plenty of family counselling. Now the two of them are both doing well and looking forward to retirement together with ample money in the bank. They are one of the few fortunate couples who manage to survive addition.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
                    Friend's STBX has big addiction problems and she assumes most of the debt is related to that (alcohol plus lots of cash advances). The statements came to the house but STBX always got them before she saw them (I'm getting all this from her, of course - it may or may not be completely true). (And the $100K is just the outstanding balance - who knows how much he charged on the cards and then paid off?).

They also had an arrangement whereby he paid the mortgage (house in both their names) and she paid the other households bills (taxes, utilities etc) and they reconciled at the end of each year. She got a call from the bank saying that the mortgage hadn't been paid in full for several months. So her credit rating is in trouble, and she has to take on paying the mortgage in full herself, at least until they manage to sell the house, at the same time as lawyer bills. It's your basic financial disaster.

I too think it would be hard to miss if my spouse was living so far beyond his/our means, but denial seems to be very powerful. She was in denial about his addictions for years until the evidence could no longer be explained away.

I guess the takeaway is to always keep your own finances separate and don't let your partner pick up the mail every day. Sad.
                    If your friend's husband still has his job then she should look at getting an interim order for automatic deduction of his income for Interim Spousal support to pay mortgage. Also she can meet with bank and lay out the situation, namely his addition and what she is doing about it financially) and see if bank can offer some sort of short-term payment arrangement.

If she doesn't take some sort of measure to get his income from source then there would be no reason/no repercussion for him to not pay. Sometimes one has to treat irresponsible people like children. This sounds as though this is one of those situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                      This ^^^ isn't at all being sneaky. It is good legal conduct in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                        If your friend's husband still has his job then she should look at getting an interim order for automatic deduction of his income for Interim Spousal support to pay mortgage. Also she can meet with bank and lay out the situation, namely his addition and what she is doing about it financially) and see if bank can offer some sort of short-term payment arrangement.

If she doesn't take some sort of measure to get his income from source then there would be no reason/no repercussion for him to not pay. Sometimes one has to treat irresponsible people like children. This sounds as though this is one of those situations.
                        She says she talked to the bank and was told that if she paid the arrears and committed to paying the mortgage through withdrawals from an account in her name only, the damage to her credit would be undone. It also looks like credit card debt incurred before separation will not be excluded from the equalization calculations (in other words, she's going to end up with her share of the equalization reduced by half the amount owing on his cards as of the date of separation, even though he's still responsible for actually paying off the creditors).

Comment

I was pretty sure that banks can help out ... your friend is not the only person in the world married to an addict.

However we have to remember that the is co-dependent issues that she should immediately seek counselling for. Yes, she will pay for her "denial" one way or another.

The Interim SS Order through a maintenance enforcement agency should give her some additional relief (kind of a fast-tracking way to ensure she isn't sitting with having to pay for everything right now). These things typically go through court quickly as it motivates parties to come to agreements. If he doesn't pay her he will pay the bankruptcy trustee an overage amount (which would hold up his bankruptcy to possibly 3 years instead of 9 months, assuming this is his first bankruptcy) so it is in his favor to agree on consent to a deduction order for SS through MEP.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                            The Interim SS Order through a maintenance enforcement agency should give her some additional relief (kind of a fast-tracking way to ensure she isn't sitting with having to pay for everything right now). .
                            SS on what grounds? He prevented her from working? He locked her up in the house and was never to leave? She was too lazy to find work while married? She was looking for a free ride? He said she could never get an education? He said she had to raise the kids? She said she wanted to raise the kids? etc.

Anytime a man (or women) were to prevent another human being from working and or getting an education, first of all it should be a criminal case, otherwise I would support SS on the basis its currently legal to prevent a spouse to do activities today.

Any time a women or man decides on his/her own (everyone is an independent person with rights) to not get an education or work while married (with or without children) should never be entitled to SS. Any other way is unethical...and contributes toward the deteriorating mental health of those FORCED to pay for life.

Comment

Amen, Brother, Amen

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X