Punched, Arrested and Innocent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaggieT View Post
    The police have a zero tolerance policy in effect regarding accusations of abuse.
    Unless it's the guy getting hit, in which case it's open season.

Have your friend get some background letters from possibly his doctor, or employer stating that they have known them for a while and that he is a reputable person.
    That will probably be of no value as there are plenty of otherwise reputable people in the community that are violent behind closed doors.

Have your freind enter a anger management course BEFORE his court date.
    Funk dat. He's the victim, remember??

Comment

taking an anger management course is basically admitting guilt in they eyes of the court. DO NOT TAKE ONE!! Victims do not need anger management, they need counselling.

Comment

I wanted to update those that replied. My friend insisted on a trial, since he was innocent. No lie detector test was ever used. His lawyer recieved letters from both his ex and her son stating that there was no hitting and none was ever seen. Basically, they recanted their video taped statement. The Crwon stood up and explained to the judge on the day of the scheduled trial that their case "suddenly and unexpectedly evaporated". There were no charges (as yet) brought by the Crown against his ex.

So, in effect, this man lost months of time with his child, was embarassed, arrested, finger printed and jailed. For nothing. And nothing is happening to his ex for her lies.

Justice?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Allen View Post
          I wanted to update those that replied. My friend insisted on a trial, since he was innocent. No lie detector test was ever used. His lawyer recieved letters from both his ex and her son stating that there was no hitting and none was ever seen. Basically, they recanted their video taped statement. The Crwon stood up and explained to the judge on the day of the scheduled trial that their case "suddenly and unexpectedly evaporated". There were no charges (as yet) brought by the Crown against his ex.

So, in effect, this man lost months of time with his child, was embarassed, arrested, finger printed and jailed. For nothing. And nothing is happening to his ex for her lies.

Justice?
          he could take her to small claims court and get his legal fees paid for by her and maybe some extra for the stuff that he went through with the fingerprinting etc.

Comment

I would like to know what happened, did he get his money back.... its a huge pain to go through and there should be a punishment for the liar.

Comment

there is no such thing as 'perjury' in Family Court , this isnt an over sight
              its a tool , it breeds conflict (also known as billable hours to some lawyers) and opens a loophole where if ( for example ) the court prefer's one sex over the other the tool can be used to confront and expose the liar or simply ignore it;

maybe some else has a better explanation, personally I saw the above executed flawlessly in an Alberta courtroom.

so, i cant see a court allowing verification of whom is telling the truth or not as the system is already setup to allow lies cause sometimes it makes the courts life alot easier to deliver insane rulings ...
              Last edited by pokeman; 01-11-2012, 10:26 PM. Reason: speeling mistakes

Comment

Hey Pokeman it is executed flawlessly in Alberta courtrooms about ten or twenty times a day.

The woman will get all kinds of assistance but the accused man...nothing except maybe duty counsel 2 minutes before court.

Lucky for this guy, his child was old enough to testify that nothing happened.

And Maggie is right...the well funded domestic shelters are like those Al Qaida madrasas teaching the newbs how it is done.

Thank goodness there are a few judges out there who uphold the law and do their best to prevent an utter miscarriage of justice.

Comment

The police are mandated to make an arrest when there is probable cause. Yes, she can get in trouble for giving a false statement to police. The last thing he should do at his court appearance is enter any sort of a guilty plea. He needs to stick to his version (presumably truthful) of events. I don't think a polygraph will help and I'm pretty sure he can't make her take one. If this is a first offense and the charges stick, he can apply for a conditional discharge in a few months. He's not going to get jail time and he should not contact her at all as there's likely a "no contact" order at the moment. What a mess. Reminds me of my situation only I wasn't lying to the police - he was. He got charged w/assault and uttering a death threat. He entered a guilty plea (although continued to tell everyone that he was "set up". Then the crown dropped the assault charge (I now regret not attending his court appearance) and entered a guilty plea on the death threat. 9 months later the Dbag got a conditional discharge.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X