This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Method of payment for CS

I will be paying CS, not through FRO. What method do most people use? I was hoping to set up automatic transfers to her account, but the banks are refusing to do it.

I hate the idea of having to manually give her money every month. If it was automatic, then it would be "out of sight, out of mind". As it is, I'm just going to pissed off every time I have to give her money, and that kinda sucks. I am hoping to have a positive relationship with her (we have shared 50/50 physical custody of the children) but that will be difficult if I am reminded every month that she is stealing from me and our children.

You can set up automatic transfers if you are using the same bank. We do this through TD Bank, it is not a problem. I also have an automatic transfer from a friend of mine whose pets I am boarding while he travels. It is not hard at all, speaking of my experience with TD Bank. Perhaps other banks don't have such a setup, but it would seem odd if they don't.

I do know it has to be the same bank, with TD, and I imagine other banks. It can be a different branch. I understand your emotions around "being reminded every month", that is much the same reason we set it up this way. It's best in the long run to let go of those feelings, but it's hard in the beginning.

Comment

EMT (email money transfer) or post-dated cheques

Comment

Do you have to have joint accounts?

Also, are you able to set it up to send the money automatically every month?

Comment

Email transfer requires me to actually log in and do it every month, doesn't it? That is something I am trying to avoid.

Comment

You can setup automatic transfers with any bank. I have one setup right now from RBC to TD. My wife used to work at TD, she did it all the time.

Never give cash. Give post dated cheques if necessary but use the Notes section to reference it as C/S.

Comment

No, not joint accounts, I would never have that with my ex. We have different accounts at different branches of the TD Bank. The amount goes through automatically on the first of the month every month.

Email transfers are handy, but there can be annoying issues. Having to remember, being annoyed about the whole thing, etc. The automatic transfer is better for us, set it up once and then ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
                You can setup automatic transfers with any bank. I have one setup right now from RBC to TD. My wife used to work at TD, she did it all the time.

Never give cash. Give post dated cheques if necessary but use the Notes section to reference it as C/S.
                Good to know you can use any bank. I guess the trouble we had was from a credit union to a bank, they said that couldn't be set up.

Comment

Originally posted by DunnMom View Post
                  EMT (email money transfer) or post-dated cheques
                  be careful with post dated cheques. I have heard stories where 12 cheques were provided all post dated at once and the ex deposited them and the bank cashed them all in the same month! Shame on the bank but can cause cheques to bounce.

Comment

Ok, so perhaps I have to change banks. I am with PC financial, and I was told, even after getting a supervisor on the phone, that it was not possible to set up automatic transfers at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Knave View Post
                      Ok, so perhaps I have to change banks. I am with PC financial, and I was told, even after getting a supervisor on the phone, that it was not possible to set up automatic transfers at all.
                      I am with PC as well.

I have an RBC account. My wife has TD and Scotia accounts.

We have a PC account.

One would think that if you could get a void cheque from the ex, you could get PC to enter that account as a payee on your accountant.

Although, the way I set up mine was my wife and I went to TD (her bank) and they set it up to draw out of my RBC account. So you likely will have to go to your ex's bank and have them set up an automatic withdrawl from your account.

Comment

I do direct deposit off my pay bi-weekly directly into her account through my payroll department. I never have to think about it.

Comment

Another way would be to setup your ex's credit card (or equivalent) as a bill in your account (she would have to give you her CC# but not the expiry or 3 digit number on the back).

There are no charges like email transfers and you can have them re-occur monthly for a set period of time automatically.

Might not be the most logical way to do it but is an alternative. Probably good to ensure you have some sort of agreement in writting because it could look like you don't pay CS at all but for some reason pay her bills.

Comment

Update:

I am going to create a separate account under my name, and provide post-dated cheques. I can transfer money automatically to that account. Not the best situation, but not the worst either.

Comment

Originally posted by Knave View Post
                              Update:

I am going to create a separate account under my name, and provide post-dated cheques. I can transfer money automatically to that account. Not the best situation, but not the worst either.
                              To save yourself money... find an institution such as PC Financial or ING Direct... they have no service fees, so at least you can save money that way!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X